No announcement yet.

Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It matters where you measure voltages, so changing that without telling anybody doesn't do anything to help your problem. Right now I would say do a complete Quick test again (ans post the numbers) as I really do not know where you stand.

Comment

Sorry I figured since it was mentioned that my measurements at the center of the screws were too high then I would move right outside to where the wires insert into the connector to make it a bit more accurate. That being said, I took measurements again from the center of the screws in the terminals, so for comparison:

Today's measurements:
      Key off: 12.37
      Key on: 12.3
      Key/lights on: 12.02
      Idle: 13.37
      2500 RPMs: 13.55
      5000 RPMs: 13.65
      After 2 block run: 13.02

Also, amperage measurements:

DC measured at: 4.0 at 200mamps
      DC with R/R disconnected: 3.5 at 200mamps

So, I don't know what the amperage values mean, but according to your Quick Test and the data under your QuickTest link, it seems as though my battery certainly isn't charging well. I would assume that the amperage has something to do with (when my R/R is connected) the R/R is pulling charge from my battery? Also, I did realize that after my [short] run, my charge was still over 13, although quickly dropping, demonstrating that it isn't charging well or at all?

Hope I got the numbers right this time, and I am really looking forward to you guys helping. Unfortunately, I am going to PARIS tomorrow through the weekend! Paris, Tennessee, that is, so I won't be able to work on the bike, but I am eagerly anticipating your responses and will sure be going through them all throughout the weekend. I would absolutely love to figure this out. Aside from a simple carb sync, this is the last thing holding me back from riding regularly!

Cheers guys, and thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post
        Sorry I figured since it was mentioned that my measurements at the center of the screws were too high then I would move right outside to where the wires insert into the connector to make it a bit more accurate. That being said, I took measurements again from the center of the screws in the terminals, so for comparison:

Today's measurements:
        Key off: 12.37
        Key on: 12.3
        Key/lights on: 12.02
        This indicates that the battery started low but then charged while you rode it.

Idle: 13.37
        2500 RPMs: 13.55
        5000 RPMs: 13.65
        It is not charging well but it is charging. I would suggest cleaning your connections after doing the revised Phase A tests to see how bad the connections are. If the voltage drops are low, then it might be a bad stator.

Also, amperage measurements:

DC measured at: 4.0 at 200mamps
        DC with R/R disconnected: 3.5 at 200mamps
        not sure what this means? 4.0 mamps on the 200 mAmp scale? 3.5 mamps with the R/R disconnect means you have a current draw (3.5 mamps) somewhere. Not a lot but more than normal. You should find it, but this is not going to pull the battery down over night.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Correct, pos, I assume that the "200m" scale is in milliamps? I measured 4.0 w/ the R/R connected, and 3.5 w/ the R/R disconnected so I figured that it was 400 and 350 milliamps on the scale.

What could cause the stator to go bad within a year's time? I replaced it just about a year ago from a manufacturer that had good reviews and pretty good prices (www.rmstator.com). Could a bad coil be draining the battery, or is that just wishful thinking and not at all related? It honestly seems like about the only thing that I have yet to replace as as part of the electrical system. It's a stretch, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post
            Correct, pos, I assume that the "200m" scale is in milliamps? I measured 4.0 w/ the R/R connected, and 3.5 w/ the R/R disconnected so I figured that it was 400 and 350 milliamps on the scale.

What could cause the stator to go bad within a year's time? I replaced it just about a year ago from a manufacturer that had good reviews and pretty good prices (www.rmstator.com). Could a bad coil be draining the battery, or is that just wishful thinking and not at all related? It honestly seems like about the only thing that I have yet to replace as as part of the electrical system. It's a stretch, I'm sure.

Stators burn up due to Shunt R/R's .

If you have 350-400 amps of current draw then that is way more than 2 mamps that the SH-775 should have. You have a short somewhere and it is enough to drain your battery in a couple of days.! 14 amp-hr means you can pull 1 amp for 14 hours. You are pulling 1/3 of that so figure 14x3=42 hours.
            Start by removing one fuse at a time to see if it does away on any one of the circuits.
            Then if you determine what circuit, start removing devices disconnecting things.
            It is a good idea, before you do too much to just look for cuts or other damage top the harness.

Comment

If the meter is reading 4.0 on the 200ma scale then it's 4.0ma not 400ma. The scale is a maximum reading not a multiplier. A reading of 400ma on a 200ma scale would indicate Over Load.

A 4ma draw will NOT cause you to loose battery voltage while riding even with the charging numbers you're seeing. In fact it seems like your recent 1 mile jaunt did charge your battery. I'm still on the side of an intermittent open in the charging system. Might be a bullet connector going high impedance or a fuse/fuse block connections opening up.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
              X