Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter issues

Hey guys, I have some questions.
    I was fiddling with some wires that are attached to the solenoid and fuses and suddenly my bike would not start.
    The bike just clicks when I try to start it.
    I thought it was my starter that went so I took it out and put in a spare I had.
    I put the new one it, I just had the starter hanging out the side when I started the bike.
    No connectors were touching any metal parts/frame. I got a spark from the starter but when I tried it again the clicking began again.
    Have I killed my starter?
    these starters were working perfectly before I did my fiddling.
    Lesson learned, If it ain't broke don't fiddle with it!

Starter is not complicated. If you jumper power to it, you'll know right away if the starter is good. I know I learned this the hard way pulling a wire loose in my starter solenoid when I relocated it. Do be sure you have a good battery and have not shorted it out in some way.

Comment

Have you confirmed the wires and connections from the solenoid are still good?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Can a short kill a starter? XD
        My red and black wires that connect to the battery and starter are fine.
        There are other wires (yellow/green and black/white)) that are a little worn looking.
        I also accidentally connected a fuse back in when the power was on, would that cause a problem?

Comment

"I put the new one it, I just had the starter hanging out the side when I started the bike. "

Of course, you had the starter motor case grounded somehow???
          starter motors are tough, they have to survive a sudden rush of current repeatedly.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the starter. Probably a problem with the wires to the starter relay, or the battery.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hey guys,
              Ive been fiddling around with a few things.
              I've replaced the starter relay, rectifier. I've tested the starter and it spins out of the bike; but it doesn't start the bike.
              Ive fixed the damaged wires I talked about in my first post.
              I also have charged the battery.
              The only way I can get the starter to do something is to hit it but it gives a sound that indicates a bad battery.
              I have already taken out the starter twice and I don't want to do it again.
              I'm out of ideas.
              Just to re cap this all started when I was fiddling with wires attached to the starter relay (green/yellow)(black/white) and the fuse (20A). I took out the fuse while the bike's lights were on.
              There was no starting issues before this.
              Also I would like to clarify on starter motor r/r procedure.
              I start by draining the oil
              then disconnect the battery from the bike
              then remove the gear lever
              take stator cover off
              then remove cam chain tensioner and remove starter motor.
              At this point I feel I may have made a mistake because I don't know if I have to readjust my tensioner or just install it as is.

I hope I've made it easy to understand.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

So starter spins out of bike, but installed, solenoid clicks, but bike doesn't start -does engine turn over or does it sound locked?
                And where are you tapping to get starter to turn?
                Since you have had stator cover off, make sure the intermediate gear (between starter gear and rotor gear) is installed correctly.
                if you got positive battery power to both sides of solenoid terminals when solenoid clicks in, a starter motor grounded to crankcase should spin smartly with good battery assuming it's not locked mechanically.

Edit: make sure the negative battery cable has good contact with engine crankcase- clean it
                Last edited by tom203; 06-25-2015, 07:38 AM. Reason: Info
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I am wondering if the battery is possibly damaged? I had a battery that I could charge, but it wouldn't crank the bike over...

A few questions:

Is the battery known to be good? (You can jump your bike with jumper cables from your car, just make sure car is off)

Did you try jumping the solenoid while starter was in the bike?

The wire from the starter, (mine was black), goes to one side of the solenoid. the other large wire from the solenoid goes to the battery thru a fuse (Mine was red). the posts on the solenoid that these 2 wires are connected, can be jumpered (touch both with a screwdriver) and the starter should spin. (make sure bike isnt in gear when you do this.... makes for a comical scene however...)

good luck
                  Last edited by mvalenti; 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM.
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I once got into my ex wife's q45, engine goes click. I figure starter...... Hour later starter on ground and it spins with jumper cables. Shargrined I put if back in snd fixed the battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X