Compatibility of electrical parts (other makes and years) for 82 GSX400E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility of electrical parts (other makes and years) for 82 GSX400E

Hi. I have recently bought an 82 GSX400E as a project bike. I have a no spark issue and am just starting to assess the electrical components to try and find where my problem is. Out of curiosity I have been looking at prices and availability of some of the components I will be testing. Does anyone know which other GS models and/or years would be compatible with the system on my GSX400E? Having a hard time finding parts specific to my bike or any information about which other bikes have parts that would be interchangeable with mine.

Is this what you got?

Make Model

Suzuki GSX 400ED
    Year

Engine

Air cooled, four stroke, transverse four cylinder, DOHC, 2 valves per cylinder.
    Capacity

Bore x Stroke 67 x 56.6 mm
    Compression Ratio 9.0:1
    Induction

2x Mikuni BS34SS carbs
    Ignition / Starting

Transistorized / electric
    Max Power

44 hp @ 9500 rpm
    Max Torque

3.7 kgf-m @ 8000 rpm
    Transmission / Drive

6 Speed / chain
    Front Suspension

Air assisted telescopic forks
    Rear Suspension

Dual shocks, preload adjustable
    Front Brakes

2x discs
    Rear Brakes

Drum
    Front Tyre

3.00-18
    Rear Tyre

3.50-18
    Dry Weight

174 kg
    Fuel Capacity

15.5 Litres
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

go here:

We offer best Suzuki motorcycle parts for some of the famous models like Suzuki GS550, Suzuki intruder 800 Suzuki GSXR 1000, Suzuki A100, Suzuki Katana etc.

maybe you are this page particularly (some call them "the baby Katana?")
      ✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1984 (E) GENERAL EXPORT (E01)

and start cross referencing the parts numbers. I think you will find 3 or 4 years of GSX400's with the same electrics... and it's just a guess but likely several 4 cylinder bikes too.
      So much do I trust my guess that if I saw a scrap Suzuki and it had electric bits that looked like mine, I would bring them home.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-17-2015, 09:50 PM.

Comment

tom203, these are the specs on my bike

Attached Files

Comment

Gorminrider, you are bang on. I'm rocking a "baby Katana" but plan on turning it into a cafe racer. Currently looks like this.

That's not mine but looks identical. I will start to cross reference parts on that website and keep an eye out for some of the components from some 4 cylinder bikes. I know the gs550 and gs750 are more common. Do you think those will have similar components as well?
          Attached Files

Comment

William, what components exactly are you looking for? Coils, stator, R/R, etc?

Comment

Ok, since you have no spark condition, best to investigate what kind of ignition components that you have. Pull off that small black cover( in your pic) and tell us if you have a mechanical advance on your signal generator plate.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

but plan on turning it into a cafe racer. Currently looks like this.
                Oooh! yer bike be happy but the Mr Curmudgeon in me has to rant today: it's already a pretty cool RETRO bike! sure, I'm not fond of this style myself -names decalled on silver tank etc but I think it could be painted to suit me and then I'd be done with eyecandy mods.
                Maybe just ride the bike a lot while you think on it. There are some pretty good examples on this forum of cafe bikes that are very nice but weren't cut up. At the least keep the bits you take off for someone that needs them.

Plus, Suzuki's airbox and sidecovers might look awful to your? eye but practically- speaking, they went to the trouble of putting the CV carbs air intake into a windless controlled space for what might be a good reason...my reason would be all the tuning and fiddling with pods,jets, wiring might not make it a better bike. (I'm lazy too)
                And ....the seat might prove comfortable, the fenders useful in rain, etc.
                Plus, plus...I have yet to see a cafe bike pass me. I know people are out there building them - but I see more on Craigslist than I do on the road especially where I am at some distance from a large city so I ...humour to follow am tempted to assume they can't get this far.

Comment

Big Rich, really not sure what I need yet. First step will be a proper battery and clean all connections. Then will see from there but will let you know what I find.

Gotminride, was probably using term "Cafe racer" loosely. Basic plan is lower bars and some easy mirror mods etc. thought about older style tank and side covers. Hoping body is pretty much the same and it would be an easy switch. main goal is getting it running and on the road. Then will decide what else from there. Would've preferred the body style a few years older but couldn't pass on the deal I got on this bike.

Comment

Sounds like a decent plan to me. And I'm with Gorminrider - I would leave that mini Kat stock looking too.

For the battery, a lithium iron would be a nice upgrade but a little pricey. Make sure the rest of the charging system is up to snuff first - stator, R/R, etc. Speaking of which, look into parts from newer GS500's. I know the GS450 can swap some components but I'm not sure about the 400x.

Comment

oh, yes right-on, Big Rich,...^...there is a list of interchangeability drawn up by member Mekanix somewhere on the twins section per above^ per electrical parts, here? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-GS-Twins-Wiki

and to further opine, ..the coils and sensors an ignition boxes seem to be really reliable. I have three sets and all work, so look to kill switch, plug cap suppressors and fudged wiring really hard before buying $$$! stuff.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. I will definitely check out those suggestions for compatible parts. Right now just waiting for my original gs400-450 Chlymer's manual to come in the mail. Will finally have some days this week to dedicate to investigative work. Can't wait! Will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Willvanlankvelt View Post
                          I appreciate the advice. I will definitely check out those suggestions for compatible parts. Right now just waiting for my original gs400-450 Chlymer's manual to come in the mail. Will finally have some days this week to dedicate to investigative work. Can't wait! Will keep you posted.
                          Why wait for the mail. Use the link from BikeCliffs webpage for your manual and save it. Or this direct link to it https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...PM7hx6Q2ynLu-A Bikecliffs page has all kinds of goodies for your GS maintanence needs. Wiring diagrams, manuals, and tutorials for just about everything that can be rebuilt.

Welcome to GSR.
                          Last edited by gsrick; 06-20-2015, 09:57 PM.
                          :cool:GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

gsrick, that's awesome! Thanks. I will definitely use that link. Love the support on this forum, very cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X