NGK D8EA Sparkplug Ohm Specifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGK D8EA Sparkplug Ohm Specifications?

Hi me again the guy with a billion questions!

Long story short, mi bike fires erratically across full rev range.

I'm now at testing my spark plugs. I need to know the ohm specifications for the D8EA.
    I know they are non-resistance plugs. Logically the resistance should be very low

The 4 plugs below are 3yrs old.
    #1 = 28.2 ohm
    #2 = No reading
    #3 = 5000 ohm
    #4 = No reading
    And one the PO had 50000ohm

This could be the reason why bike runes like an 80yr old chain smoker in a sprint that is if an 80yrs old chain smoker would still be alive

I took the readings 5 times because they where so off from one another.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM.

I usually mediate for an hour before putting mine in.......................

AN infinite reading is a dead cap and I assume we are talking caps here.
    Are you sure they are non resistor caps? Mine are they have a brass screw in insert that has a spring and a resistor beyond it
    moisture creeps in and things corrode.

Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

For the low cost involved, why not just get four new plugs, measure them to satisfy your curiosity, install them and call the job "done"?

And, NO, Jeepster, he is not talking about the caps, he specifically mentioned testing the PLUGS.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, for $2.19 each at most auto parts stores (ask for NGK number 2120 -- they won't have any idea what D8EA means), I'm not even going to waste five minutes farting around with old plugs.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I ordered them through my local parts shop. Will be picking them up tomorrow morning. I'll report back.

Comment

Got the new ones and tested at 0 (Zero) ohm!

Going to put them in, go for a ride and have a big grin on my face when I twist the throttle

I'm positive my spark plus went bad because I decided to Sonic clean them last year and they had time to rust oxidize corrode during winter.....
            That's what happens when your a complete noob to mechanics. Live and learn

I bought 5 new sparkplugs. 4 of them are at 0ohm and one is at 1 ohm.
            I'll be sending a email to NGK asking what they consider to be within specs and report back.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

That's pretty strange. Spark plugs can get worn at the electrode after a LOT of miles but almost never go bad unless corroded, which must be what happened to yours. Clean out your plug caps as well.

I would not bother NGK over 1 ohm. That's probably about the resistance of the meter leads and/or meter itself. Will not affect ignition even in the slightest. Put the new plugs in and go.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My leads are .2ohm and when tested 4 units read .2ohm so basically 0ohm and the one at 1.2ohm.
                Ill still ask what the specs / tolerances are out of curiosity.

Comment

SO does it run well now?

Comment

Does she ever. I feel like this when I twist throttle .

I'll be starting another thread because there are still some small issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X