Stator purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator purchase

I need to purchase a stator for a 1982 gs 1100 glz. Is there a recommended brand or store that is recommended? I remember a while back most were buying from a place the had a guys first name. Like Ricks???

Ricks, or an ElectroSport.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I have one to fit your bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What do you want for it Steve?

Comment

Go with Steve or get a Caltric (steve recommended)

Comment

Nejeff
            already worked it out with him.

thanks

Comment

Just a heads up on choice of Stators, I just had a 2 year old Electrosport fail, and that's with one of the good Honda reg/recs on the bike. I've had one of Steve's stators and they look top notch, it's been in the bike for a few months now with no issues. Ricks always has a good track record.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Just a heads up on choice of Stators, I just had a 2 year old Electrosport fail, and that's with one of the good Honda reg/recs on the bike. I've had one of Steve's stators and they look top notch, it's been in the bike for a few months now with no issues. Ricks always has a good track record.

And what makes you think that it was not the R/R that caused the stator to fail?

The electrosport stator with a shunt R/R are probably more prone to failure? The are wired for 20% extra power which is only going to occur when the bike is below full RPM (say 2500 RPM). How fast you are going at 2500 RPM is anyones guess, but at slow speed there will be reduced cooling efficiency to deal with the extra power.

None of this matters with a proper SERIES R/R which the honda is NOT. Considering the Honda as the king among turds (i.e. SHUNT R/Rs), despite it's superior reliability, they are not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

None of this matters with a proper SERIES R/R which the honda is NOT. Considering the Honda as the king among turds (i.e. SHUNT R/Rs), despite it's superior reliability, they are not perfect.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...da+stator+poll
                  I unrecall: is there an ongoing poll for users of SH-775 r/rs?
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    I unrecall: is there an ongoing poll for users of SH-775 r/rs?
                    Same link as posted.

This is a poll at Duanages Suggestion to determine what the statistics are for burned stators with Honda 6 wire R/R's.

I hope everybody that has any experience with a Honda unit participates. This is important information to know when trying to figure out your best approach to solving charging system problems.

These are the three polls to help get some statistics on Field information about charging systems.

"Honda R/R Users Poll"

Poll for Compufire R/R Users

Fried Stator Poll

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      And what makes you think that it was not the R/R that caused the stator to fail?

The electrosport stator with a shunt R/R are probably more prone to failure? The are wired for 20% extra power which is only going to occur when the bike is below full RPM (say 2500 RPM). How fast you are going at 2500 RPM is anyones guess, but at slow speed there will be reduced cooling efficiency to deal with the extra power.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...da+stator+poll
                      Nothing is perfect but until the new Series R/R came along I always thought the Honda's were the best thing going compared to the stock R/R or Electrosport R/R's etc... It's not my bike that had the issue, I tested his stator and found it to be bad but did not have time to test the honda R/R as well. Both of my own bikes have Honda R/R in them and have never had an issue and that's over 20'000kms on each bike and as well I know of 3 other GSes in the area that I put Honda R/R into years ago and they are still charging fine. But again, nothing is a guarantee that's for sure. I'm sure his mechanic will test the Honda R/R and if it's gone I would recommend an SH775 to him as we can get them for $105 up here in Canada and Duanages Honda R/R gets to the door for $85 with the crappy dollar right now.
                      Rob
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nothing is perfect but until the new Series R/R came along I always thought the Honda's were the best thing going compared to the stock R/R or Electrosport R/R's etc... It's not my bike that had the issue, I tested his stator and found it to be bad but did not have time to test the honda R/R as well. Both of my own bikes have Honda R/R in them and have never had an issue and that's over 20'000kms on each bike and as well I know of 3 other GSes in the area that I put Honda R/R into years ago and they are still charging fine. But again, nothing is a guarantee that's for sure. I'm sure his mechanic will test the Honda R/R and if it's gone I would recommend an SH775 to him as we can get them for $105 up here in Canada and Duanages Honda R/R gets to the door for $85 with the crappy dollar right now.
                        I'm not questioning why you have a Honda on the bike at all; there are valid reasons. I was however questioning why you were making the assumption that a bad stator was due to a stator fault.

When you get the stator out have a look at it to see if there is any obvious heating, if it is generally toasted then it is likely an R/R problem. If there is a single isolated burned coil, you could easily conclude manufacturing variables causing a weak spot that even the Honda over stressed.

Comment

Is there a clear way of testing the Honda R/R? I did look at the suzuki manual for testing the stock one but I'm not sure that it would apply to the Honda.
                          Rob

Comment

Is there a clear way of testing the Honda R/R? I did look at the suzuki manual for testing the stock one but I'm not sure that it would apply to the Honda.
                            The diode tests in the GS stator (Phase C) tests are going to work, but not sure about the rest. The only other way is to see if it regulates properly. It is quite probable that the stator going bad and teh SHUNT regulation (which is the R/R's fault) even though the R/R still appears to be fine. SHUNT regulating stress everything.

Comment

A fairly reliable seat of the pants way is to measure the pin-pin resistances of a known-good one and draw up a chart. Compare to the suspect one.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X