Grounding to solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding to solenoid

Hi there just a quick question. I went out an bought a new solenoid thinking mine was bad put new one in nothing tore everything apart nothing. Realized if I run a ground from frame to screw holding down the solenoid fire. I took the battery box out cleaned all of its frame contacts nothing. but its pretty rough battery box lots rust. My question would it be safe just to run that ground from frame to one of the screws holding down my solenoid? If so what gauge wire should I use. IF not any suggestions on a way to get this thing grounded off the battery box without trying to find a new or used one.

The solenoid needs a ground of some type. It is not critical of where it comes from and need not be an be anything bigger than 18 awg.

Having said that on some bikes the solenoid ground and the charging systems r/r(-) charge the same wire and is bad news from the factory.look up single point grounds in GS charging health a link in my signature . There is a schematic.

Comment

Much appreciated shes firing right up now I already re did the R/R ground still have yet to do the stator one. Thanks again though just Ran a ground from existing bolt on frame to Solenoid mounting screw.

Comment

Congratulations for good troubleshooting.

Originally posted by Gsrider View Post
        ...... My question would it be safe just to run that ground from frame to one of the screws holding down my solenoid? .......
        Not only safe, but is what many folks here recommend you do.
        Either 18 or 16 gage should do.

Yes, the starter solenoid is mounted to the battery box, and the solenoid gets its ground from its mounting, but as you found the battery box itself may not be well grounded by its mounting.

There should be a blk/wht wire from the wireing harness connected to that solenoid mounting bolt, and that wire is suppose to provide the ground to the battery box. This wire is suppose to be a ground wire, but sometimes the other end that is connected to the frame gets to be a bad connection, or some r/r failures burns out that wire.

THe ground wire from the r/r is also usually connected to this same solenoid mounting bolt .... and so the battery box grounding is an important subject for the r/r also, and is another reason for adding your own ground wire for the battery box. But, for purposes of the r/r, there are reasons to run it to battery negative.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X