1980 GS550L coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L coil

Greetings all. I have a 1980 GS550L that has no spark on 2&3. Sparks on 1&4. I would like to buy a replacement coil. What is the cheapest alternative? And best place to get it from? Thanks!

Most likely not the coil. Have you tried swapping coils to verify the cause? Hate to say it, but the 550 was noted for having a weak igniter. Might want to look a little closer before you spend the money on a coil.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

First, thanks for responding! I have not tried anything yet, I just picked this thing up. The guy I bought it from said it had a bad coil, and turning it over with the plugs out I did see that 2&3 had no spark. I made an assumption. How do I test the igniter?
      Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      Most likely not the coil. Have you tried swapping coils to verify the cause? Hate to say it, but the 550 was noted for having a weak igniter. Might want to look a little closer before you spend the money on a coil.

Comment

Diabolerie, first i would do the "Signal Generator Test" if that checks out good then do the "Igniter Unit Test".
        Most likely is your Igniter

Comment

Working...
        X