brighter headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brighter headlights?

I have the H4 bulb housing in my 1980 GS1000G, and LED bulbs aren't really in my budget. Would running a higher wattage bulb be out of the question for my bike? I didn't know if maybe the bike wouldn't be able to handle the extra wattage.

check the voltage at your bulbs and see how much voltage you are dropping. A headlamp relay mod might also help along with the usual connector cleaning.

The 55W H4 bulbs I have measured pull about 5 amps. Are you using 35 or 55 watt bulbs?

Not sure if there are higher rated bulbs, but with a relay you could do it if you lower some of your other loads with LED signals. They Can Be pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Not sure if there are higher rated bulbs, ...
      Yes, there are higher rated bulbs. The stock bulbe are 55/60 or 55/65 for low/high beams. I have seen 55/100, 80/100 and 90/130.

The good:
      - They are just a little bit brighter.

The bad:
      - They draw more current, almost to the point of overloading the wires
      - If your charging system isn't quite "right", and you do a lot of stop-and-go driving (engine idling), you will likely discharge your battery
      - Unless you install a headlight cut-out while using the starter, there is even more load on the battery while starting
      - They don't last as long

If you truly want brighter lights, save up for an LED light, it's worth it if you do much riding at night.
      If you don't ride much at night, it's not worth the money, so just clean up your electrical connections to ensure they are as good as they can be.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A stop-gap solution, which worked well for years, were the Osram Silverstars, and the like - they knocked out ~30% more light for a standard wattage, so the charging system wouldn't be fazed by those. I had one in the GS and several in my cars, before the HIDs and LEDs were even thought of. I can honestly say, if your reflectors and lenses are of a half-decent design, you will see a worthwhile improvement for the same power consumption - I reckoned the Silver Star was as bright as my previous 100/60W. Only trouble with them is, many shady operators put a tint on their cheap-ass bulbs and fooled lots of boy racers into thinking they were getting Hi-Ouput lamps. Of course they weren't.
        Last edited by Grimly; 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM. Reason: semi-literate drivel
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Silverstar bulb + possibly relay and you should be happy.

Here's a nice H4 relay kit. Of course, you can make your own if you have all the materials and tools on hand:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Silverstar bulb + possibly relay and you should be happy.

Here's a nice H4 relay kit. Of course, you can make your own if you have all the materials and tools on hand:
            http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi....html#h4single
            At that price for the EasterBeaver setup, just get one of these for $60

Comment

Working...
            X