Best place to connect a voltage meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to connect a voltage meter

Going through electrical upgrade.SSP, SH 775 R/R and stator. I have a voltmeter to put on the bike but it also has a charger for cell phones. Don't really have to attach both to the same spot. I am thinking about attaching the voltmeter to the starter relay and the charger to an acc circuit that is open on the SSP. Or is there reasons to attach them somewhere else.

Where you connect it depends on what you want to measure. If you want measure voltage to your general live circuits I would place it on a switched wire something like the orange/white to the coils or brown to the tail light. There should be a spare brown inside your headlight. If you want to measure the charging voltage at the battery then connect directly to the battery positive via a relay. Due to loss through switches and connectors the differences between the two at best will more than .5 volt and as high as a couple if the switches and connectors are bad.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

You can hook the meter to a switched or unswitched power source of the SSPB. The SSPB does drop some voltage, but then everything does. There are a variety of places to pick it up depending upon what else you have connected.

If you can get to it, a simple place is the back of the ignition switch. With the SSPB install you already have Red(0)-Pin1 going there as a red wire(inside of the harness); this is UNSWITCHED power. You have a switched wire coming back on Orange to Pin 5. Neither of these wires is carrying any current.

No reason to run another heavy wire for unswitched power to the front of the bike, You already have a 14 awg wire going there to the IGN switch. With the SSPB you have the added benefit that this wire is essentially carrying little to no current.

These (locations) are what I plan to use on my next rewire.
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-23-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        Where you connect it depends on what you want to measure. If you want measure voltage to your general live circuits I would place it on a switched wire something like the orange/white to the coils or brown to the tail light. There should be a spare brown inside your headlight. If you want to measure the charging voltage at the battery then connect directly to the battery positive via a relay. Due to loss through switches and connectors the differences between the two at best will more than .5 volt and as high as a couple if the switches and connectors are bad.
        Sandy,
        James just finished a SSPB install so he can just use the SSPB as the switched source for a sense point. You will see in my other post, that the IGN switch is an excellent place to tap off for some low current (2-3 amps) loads. There are crimped solder points right at the bottom under a nice plastic cover. I suspect he probably needs navel jelly and some flux to tack a wire on or just strip back some insulation and wrap direct around the wire.
        Jim

Comment

Thanks guys for the input !!!

Comment

Posplayr
            did you intend to attach a photo or something to your first post here? The last sentence seems like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
              Posplayr
              did you intend to attach a photo or something to your first post here? The last sentence seems like it.
              NO, I was simply referencing the locations indicated.

Comment

Working...
              X