tail/brake light always on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail/brake light always on

When the key is in the ON position, both the filaments of the bilux are on.
    If I turn the key on the PARK pos only the tail light is on, braking as no effect, with both the key pos.

I removed and inspected the brake pedal switch, but it seems to be mecanically sound.

In case there isn't continuity (I'll check later) in the switch wires, shouldn't the stop light be off?

Some wire shorted?

Thanks
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-26-2015, 07:05 AM.
    GS1000G '81

Check the front brake switch. Be careful when you remove the screws, there are small parts there, some of them are spring-loaded.

Start by just loosening the two screws a bit, then try to slide the switch to adjust it. If that does not work, remove the cover, but be ready to catch the small parts. With a good cleaning and a little bit of dielectric grease, you might restore normal operation. If replacement is necessary, it's not all that expensive. Here in the USA, we can get a replacement switch assembly for about $10.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The foot pedal switch is faulty, and the lever one is faltering; but as soon as I removed the latter, the light went off.

Both of them will have to be replaced.

Thanks Steve
      GS1000G '81

Comment

Adjust them before you buy new ones!!!! Put the handle bar one back together and leave the screws just a tad loose. When you set the brown circuir board in be sure the "raised bump" thats on it is to facing to the end of the bars. This bump lift the U shaped contact off the two rail to break the circuit..and the light goes out. Follow me??

Anyway, once the front assembly is together, unplug the wires from the rear switch so your just doing one switch at a time.
        Now use a thin blade and move the brown waffle board one way or the other under the black cover till the brake light comes on. Then move it ever so slightly till it goes out and snug down the cover screws and check the lever for a brake light. May take afew tries till you have the lever switch adjusted right.

Once the lever is done, plug the rear switch back in. Youll see the 14 MM nuts that hold it into the bracket and youll notice the assembly is threaded all the way down. Loosen the nuts and twist the switch till your getting a brake light off the switch. Turn it the other way till the light goes out and snug the nuts. Try the brake pedal and adjust if need be.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-26-2015, 11:40 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Chuck, first of all, thanks for the fault finding checks;

The little prong inside the front lever brake switch, is 1,5mm (through normal wear) that's why I said is faltering, it seem the prong is not engaged by the recess on the backside of the lever.

I can see the stop light working when I flick the lever on the contact, but it's just not consistent and, when riding, you wouldn't have a clue on it's state (on or off) so I think I'll replace it.

I have took apart and reassebled the plunger on the pedal switch, and it's alarmingly simple, a rod, a spring and two spaced apart contact rings;
          even though, tested with a meter on the continuity range, there is no beep when the probes touch the two contacts and the plunger is pulled. Wires are fine (there is continuity from one end to the other, in both.

How can it possibly develop a fault?
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-26-2015, 04:08 PM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Bump Chuck. I didn't do my lever switch right and now I know why.

My mind just soars over the simple sometimes and I look like a

Comment

I have replaced that worn down bump before with some epoxy. I drilled a hole thru the board and added some 5 minute epoxy.

i mixed up the epoxy and let it sit on the cardboard till it started getting to the consistency of bubble gum. Then rolled a dab up into a tube with my fingers and pressed it into the drilled hole and then let it set up good. Then the jewlers files to shape it. The bump lifts the contact off the bridge when the lever is relaxed..pull the lever and the contact slips off the bump and sets across the bars and makes the completed circuit. I have gotten bike where the PO had placed the baoard in upside down also, so be sure the bars are facing the U shaped contact thing in the lever side of the assembly.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X