Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issue

Hey guys, I have a 80 gs450l that has an issue starting. Seems like especially from a cold start the bike will just click when I try to start, if I keep trying it will sometimes start cranking and other times will just act like the battery doesn't have enough juice to start. It did this when I originally got the bike so I put a new battery in it and it started fine everything for a while then it started again. If I put it on a trickle charger overnight it will start ok in morning but within a day or two back in the same boat. I was told by a shop the charging system was good. Any ideas?

It's like if battery is slightly drained it has this problem, u just put it it on trickle charger for like 10 min and it started fine

Comment

Forget the shop, do your own tests. That way, you will KNOW whether it's working or not.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

look twice through this its very informative but I would guess you have a charging issue i.e stator or rectifier or a parasitic issue i.e to high a wattage headlamp but thats as far as my guess work goes sorry

Comment

Do a Quick Test -yourself- and be sure. Please report the actual numbers, cuz they offer clues

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Do a Quick Test -yourself- and be sure. Please report the actual numbers, cuz they offer clues

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
            Key off 12.39
            key on 11.66
            idle 11.80
            2500rpm 11.98
            5000rpm 12.06
            key off 12.22

Comment

There you go. The shop was wrong. Your bike is not charging the battery, so when you run it, it's just draining the battery. You should be seeing 13+ volts with the key off at and least 14 volts at 5000 rpm.

Time for a new R/R and/or possibly a new stator. But the R/R is far away the more likely culprit. Do a search on the forum for "polaris R/R" and pick up a brand new one of those.

BTW, deep discharging these batteries is bad for them so you might either hold off on riding it until you fix the charging system, or charge the battery back up immediately after coming in from every (short) ride.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Eil is right you are not charging at all.Most likely the stator so try some tests to confirm that, or else just take out wild asss guess that is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
                  Key off 12.39
                  key on 11.66
                  idle 11.80
                  2500rpm 11.98
                  5000rpm 12.06
                  key off 12.22
                  Charging system not working.
                  (which fits the symptoms in your original post)

Good that you made it back home.

Good that you have meter.

Now time for some further trouble shooting.
                  Find stator papers on GSR main page (or elsewhere).
                  Big test is the stator open circuit, where measure the AC volts from the stator.

Last edited by Redman; 06-28-2015, 07:15 AM.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Well guys, I performed the stator test as described on bikecliff website and results are- first test bike not running I couldn't get a steady number, just jumped around alot. Passed second test but third test is where things got interesting. Ac voltage for each output was very low, ranged from 2.6- 14 volts.... sounds like a bad stator

Comment

If the stator is burned the best prevention is a series r/r. Read gs stator in my signature for more info
                      Last edited by posplayr; 06-28-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Well, probably gonna catch flack for this but I picked up a used stator off eBay to see if there's any chance I would get lucky, still failed stator test. One thing that makes me wonder is it seems like most people have stator wires that go directly to R/R. On my bike stator wires connect to wires coming off my current R/R under my seat. Don't know if that's significant. I would love to just purchase a brand new stator and or Series R/R but currently not able to put a couple hundred bucks into bike. I wonder if I'm just missing something or maybe it's my R/R all along but that doesn't seem like it would affect my stators failing tests

Comment

A new Caltric ST234 runs $60 shipped on amazon, $9 more with gasket

Comment

20150712_113732.jpg do you guys think this looks normal? Haven't seen any online with all those little cracks

Comment

Looks normal to me.

Especially since you have cooked a stator and heated the snot out of that epoxy.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X