No announcement yet.

Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you do ,be careful putting that wire clamp/guard back on- no pinching or magnet wire might ground out on stator cover either now or later when it gets toasty.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That looks like it's abraded right where the guard takes the sharp bend. My bet is it occurred while installing the stator. Probably pinched between the guard and the stator cover. If it were me, I'd try to put a little solder on those broken wire ends and then wrap the one wire with insulating tape and then put shrink wrap around the entire bundle. Really, the only reason for the insulating tape is just in case you have a nick in any of the other wires. Don't want any arcing between poles.

Once you install it into the stator cover, I'd verify that all poles are not grounded to the stator cover and that you still have .8 ohms from each leg to leg.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yep; there's very little clearance for wiring routing error when the stator is in and the casing is bolted up. It's caught out more than one over the years - it seems there's plenty of room, but there isn't, not really.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          That looks like it's abraded right where the guard takes the sharp bend. My bet is it occurred while installing the stator. Probably pinched between the guard and the stator cover. If it were me, I'd try to put a little solder on those broken wire ends and then wrap the one wire with insulating tape and then put shrink wrap around the entire bundle. Really, the only reason for the insulating tape is just in case you have a nick in any of the other wires. Don't want any arcing between poles.

Once you install it into the stator cover, I'd verify that all poles are not grounded to the stator cover and that you still have .8 ohms from each leg to leg.
          I really think that's exactly what happend, it really gets pinched there on that sharp bend and there is so little space for the wires to fit through under that little space between cover and that screw down gaurd. I did my best to solder the cut and taped it up, installed it in the cover and measured leg to leg and got .9 ohms. I'm not totally satisfied with solder\ tape job I did. Probably the worst place I could have a week spot

Comment

Ended up installing a caltric R/R for a 550 in there and charging fine now

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
              Ended up installing a caltric R/R for a 550 in there and charging fine now
              Read up on the series SH-775 r/r and improve your odds of happy motoring beyond "now" .
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X