Lack of Spark/Battery Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Spark/Battery Short

I have a 1980 GS550 with Dynatek Coils. Everything was running fine, until my fuel hose got pinched. While I was replacing it with heavier duty hose, I had to jump the battery in my bike to get it to turn over (too much trying to start BEFORE I found the fuel line kink). I had my friends put the jumper cables on the bike, while I put them on my car (not running). He got the positive and negative mixed up on the motorcycle. Now, with a charged battery, it will not start. It turns over just fine, but no firing. I had one fuse, in the fuse box, blown, and I replaced that. The other fuse, that is attached to the igniter(?) looks like it tried to blow, so I replaced that as well. Still nothing. It's definitely getting fuel now. Any ideas where I should be checking, or even replacing?

Thanks for any help, in advance.

check your spark; you might have blown the ignitor.

Comment

Yah, reverse polarity can cause problems with electronics. ANd about only electronics on these bikes are the igniter (and ignition pickup sensor).

And stock igniters are ex-ex-expensive, and can be hard to find the proper used one.

Originally posted by ryanjayx View Post
      ..... The other fuse, that is attached to the igniter(?) .......
      Maybe you have an aftermaorket ignitor along with your Dynatek coils.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I'll see if I can grab a pic of where my igniter is mounted, to show the fuse. I've been keeping my eye out on eBay for used igniters. Even used, and looking like they have been stored in salt water, they want a pretty penny. I might just find an aftermarket replacement. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

It's been a little bit, but here is a shot of my electrical setup, on the mounting plate.
          Attached Files

Comment

unfortunately it is hard to tell what is connected to what. IS that the ignitor or a second 1/2 of an old style split R/R.

Your battery and ground connections are scary.

Comment

Here is an electric box, from a local junkyard. It's from a 1979 GS850. Which one is the ignitor, and will it work on my GS550?

Comment

The black box says IGNITOR on it. So I assumed it was. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                X