X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 wire regulator

Thank you for reading
    81 GS750EX
    The rectifier/regulator unit on this bike has been changed in the past. It has 4 wires- 3 yellow and 1 black.
    To my knowledge this means three stator wires (yellow) and one output wire (black). The ground is through the case. All wires are 16 gauge.
    I have a separate ground wire to the battery from the regulator case, and have all 3 wires connected to the stator, with headlight circuit bypassed.
    Just hoping someone else has this type unit on their bike and it is wired the same.

Now on to the connections! Yes, I read the Stator papers.

• how is the rest of your return current getting to the R/R?

Harness B/W,
    Frame Ground,
    engine mounts to engine,
    battery cable from engine to battery then finally
    ground wire you ran from the battery to the R/R?

Look up SPG under GS Charging Health.

Comment

Here's a summary link....

letchworth rideri: if you still got acceptable charging, that's great, but consider improving your odds by upgrading wiring and maybe opting for new r/r technology which you might have not noticed.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by letchworth rider View Post
        Thank you for reading
        81 GS750EX
        The rectifier/regulator unit on this bike has been changed in the past. It has 4 wires- 3 yellow and 1 black.
        To my knowledge this means three stator wires (yellow) and one output wire (black). The ground is through the case............
        .............I have a separate ground wire to the battery from the regulator case...............
        If there is only those 4 wires, and it works... that must be what those are.

And, yes, adding your own ground wire is a good idea, especially if R/R is mounted to battery box, the battery box may not be well grounded.
        (and needs to be, for the R/R and the starter solenoid).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes, connections is where it is at now. Upgrade grounds and feeds. Now if I could get all the harness routed correctly, I would be happy. Been apart way too long. Searching for some good pics of harness routing.

Comment

Working...
          X