Need help on clutch safety switch assy on clutch lever 85 GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on clutch safety switch assy on clutch lever 85 GS1150

I took the screws out & **** went everywhere. Spent an hour looking for the spring yesterday & found it in 10 seconds this morning. Im pretty sure that when you turn the clutch lever upside down that the plastic piece goes in first then the spring, then the copper U shaped thing, then the cover goes on with the 2 screws, Could someone confirm that for me or tell me how it does go together if Im wrong ? Much appreciated, Id never make it without the help of the guys on this board

Follow the wires into the headlight bucket and bypass it. They are male and female bullets so it is very easy.
    If you want it I have one I can send you.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can put it back together or remove it, I just wanted to know if I had the assembly steps right. Thank you for the offer though. Do you just unplug them or hook them together in the bucket ?

Comment

If you look carefully at the pieces, you will find that the plastic plunger has little ears that fit into the slots on the u-shaped copper piece. The spring goes between them. The whole assembly drops into the hole in the clutch lever, then is covered by the small circuit board and the cover.

If you choose to bypass it, go into the headlight bucket, find the two wires from the switch. Unplug the switch from the main harness, connect the two connectors on the main harness to each other. The two connectors from the switch can be left alone, they will not bother anything.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i ran into problems with my clutch safty switch so i just eliminated it i feel u have to be smart enouph to start in neutral or pull the clutch in gear

Comment

Just a tip to anyone working on a clutch switch or a front brake switch....

Take a baggie and put it over the switch area and secure it with some tape or whatever so you have a pouch under the switch cover. Now stick the screw driver thru the bag and take it apart. Anything that goes flying is now in the baggie.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by davebgs850l View Post
              i feel u have to be smart enouph to start in neutral or pull the clutch in gear
              Or you can do neither, just hit the button and ride away.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice trick about the baggie, now you tell me . Thanks for all the help guys. Ill put it back together first, if it don't work Ill go to plan B

Comment

Working...
                X