Clutch/neutral safety switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch/neutral safety switch

Hey guys, did some searching but I couldn't find anything real helpful. Anyways, something funky is going on with my clutch safety switch ('80 550E), making it a pain to start the bike sometimes. I have to find the perfect spot where the contacts touch for the bike to start. How can I fix this easily? Bypass it? Buy a new switch?

I've also been thinking of trying to upgrade all the controls on the bars with something newer. I'd really like an updated look. Not sure what would work though as far as what I could adapt to my bike.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me.

If you would like to repair it, it should not take much time, as long as you don't let any of the spring-loaded parts fly when you open the switch.

It would be easier to bypass it, but we would have to give you all the legal disclaimers about it now being YOUR responsibility to ensure that the bike is in neutral before pushing the starter button.

To bypass the "safety" switch, open the headlight bucket, locate the two wires (yellow, with green stripe) that come from the clutch switch. Follow the wires to their connectors, separate them from the main harness. You will find that the connectors on the main harness are of opposite gender, connect them. You can ignore the wires from the switch, they will not bother anything. Put the headlight back in the bucket, you are done.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As Steve says, easy enough to bypass it, but I kinda like it on mine.

Taking it apart and cleaning up the contacts can have some success, or replace for one like this.

Parts list here
      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

I do like having it actually, but bypassing it might be the easiest route. Either that, or finding a new clutch lever assembly with a good switch in it...

Comment

The switches are easy to find new. I bought one a few years ago on eBay for around $10

Comment

Loosen the two cover screws just a little and use a thin blade to shift the brown circuit board toward the end of the bars a little. This will make the U shaped contact bridge the wires easier and with less squeeze of the lever.

The new switch kit. Put a baggie around the switch when disassembling so as to catch the falling parts.

When inserting new parts, loosen the bolts the lever perch and turn the lever assembly up side down. this will let you drop in the black plastic deal with the spring and contact in without it falling to the floor.

Then add the circuit board and be sure the end with the raised bump is to the end of the bars and is facing the U shaped contact in the lever. Then put the cover on and the screws. Adjust like I noted above.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X