Coil Relay Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Relay Mod

OK so I ran the ground wire to the headlights for the starter/ no headlight Mod and run a ground off this to do the coil relay mod.
    I understand the igniter switches the relay and the ground for that goes to the ground wire I ran to the headlight, what I don't get is do I need to do anything with the ground from the harness or from the coils or just hook them back together again?

I know its a stupid question but I can't find any mention of them and it would be my luck to do something wrong thanks.

Rulong

Not following... Nevertheless, don't overcomplicate this simple mod - you ground relay (85) (to frame, or another ground wire, or back to SPG), then a fused hot wire from battery (30). Relay basically goes between ignitor & coils - cut O/W from ignitor and use as signal (86), and output from relay (87) to the O/W going to coils. Everything else is same.

Comment

I have posted several ways to switch the mod and power the entire ignition circuit. Not sure how you are planning to do it, a schematic would help.

phanham summarized most of it but his description of where to cut the o/w is a bit confusing. It is usually all done in the right hand switch control connector.

I reread phanh's post what he is describing only puts the coils into the mod not the ignitor.
      Last edited by posplayr; 07-02-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I think I leave the coil ground as it is and just change the positive to a relay that puts the battery positive to the coils positive and ground it to the frame (or new ground for my headlight off relay).

the right hand switch i disconected from the stator and just looped it back on its self as I wasn't sure what was at the handle bar end.

Comment

Originally posted by RULONG View Post
          I think I leave the coil ground as it is and just change the positive to a relay that puts the battery positive to the coils positive and ground it to the frame (or new ground for my headlight off relay).

the right hand switch i disconected from the stator and just looped it back on its self as I wasn't sure what was at the handle bar end.
          Confusion is running rampant here.

The "coil ground" would be the wires going from the coils to the ignitor. You are right, leave them just the way they are.
          The "positive" is what is fed by the fuse (through the 'kill' switch) and, yes, it is the one that would benefit from having full voltage.
          It sort of sounds like you are grounding the relay to the frame or your headlight off relay. Not sure why you would want to ground it to another relay when the frame does a wonderful job.

Not sure what you disconnected from the right hand switch, but there is NOTHING in it that is connected to the stator.

Based on all the confusion in just these few posts, I shudder to think what your headlight off relay wiring looks like.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Doesn't one of the stator outputs go up to the non-existent headlight switch you don't have here in the states and come back down to the r/r that one i just unplugged, plugged the stator into the r/r and plugged the switch into itself instead of the stator and r/r thereby putting a full loop in the harness but out of touch with anything else.

The orange/white leads I took off the coil and put on the 85 leg of the relay the black/white and white lead from the relay I left as is, the 86 I ran to the -battery and the +battery I ran thought 30 and out 87 to the coil.

That's what I got from the coil relay mods I read about here I just wasn't sure if I should have does something else with the coil black/white and white leads.

P.S the headlight relay just earths the headlight turning it off when I hit the starter button that's from the same write-up.

Comment

Basically your posts are difficult to follow so it is difficult to pin point your problem. You seem to know more about the connections than you are able to communicate. I for one can't figure out how to help; sorry
              Last edited by posplayr; 07-03-2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RULONG View Post
                ....the right hand switch i disconected from the stator and just looped it back on its self as I wasn't sure what was at the handle bar end.
                This is part of the confusion! The left hand switch contained the light switch (before it was not included anymore) where the third stator leg wires go to, not the right hand switch!
                Last edited by 2BRacing; 07-03-2015, 07:18 AM.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

ok yeah the stator wire went to the left hand light switch.

I never came across mention of the right hand connection sorry thats my bad for not thinking about which side the switch would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                    This is part of the confusion! The left hand switch contained the light switch (before it was not included anymore) where the third stator leg wires go to, not the right hand switch!
                    I think I was able to interpret that as direct connection of the stator to the R/R but I it would have taken too much of a leap to understand this.

The orange/white leads I took off the coil and put on the 85 leg of the relay the black/white and white lead from the relay I left as is, the 86 I ran to the -battery and the +battery I ran thought 30 and out 87 to the coil.

Comment

These posts are confusing for such a simple mod!
                      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                      X