Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal issues on GS1100GL

Hello!

I am having a weird issue with my turn signals on my newly acquired 82 GS1100GL and I hope you can point me in the right direction to diagnose it.

• The right turn signal works. However, the indicator light does not light up or flash when the turn signal is on.
    • The left turn signal does not work at all. However, the indicator light will light up, but does not flash.

When I purchased the bike, I assumed the turn signal was not working because of a bulb. I swapped the left and right bulbs and both sides work exactly the same.

Also, on what is an unrelated note but I thought I'd mention it here, the gas gauge is stuck at half a tank and doesn't budge. Is there a way to fix this or is it not worth it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Rick

I'm not familiar with this model but until someonewho is ,chimes in, here's a wiring diagram that offers clues

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      I'm not familiar with this model but until someonewho is ,chimes in, here's a wiring diagram that offers clues

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...982_wiring.jpg
      Thanks, Tom. I found that as well. Just not sure where to begin with this. My high school electronics class is starting to come back to haunt me.

There are a couple of other things I've noticed in my searching and trying things out. I don't hear the relay kick in when I switch to the left signals. Also, it seems that somehow when using the left signals the system uses the right side for the indicator and vice versa. That may explain why the indicator does not work when I use the right signal and doesn't flash when I use the left. Looking at the wiring diagram, I doubt the relay could be bad or I don't think either side would work. So maybe something is not connected properly on the left side or maybe the control unit is bad.

Comment

"Also, it seems that somehow when using the left signals the system uses the right side for the indicator and vice versa. "

Yes, when you switch left signal on ,the indicator bulb is fed positive power from left bulbs and grounds itself out thru right side bulbs- this small ground current thru right bulbs is not noticeable, but it's enough to get indicator to illuminate. And vice versa
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Of couurse, when you say "the right/left turn signal" you mean both lights, front and rear....

Any noise from the turn signal relay?

I would loosen the turn light mountings, and see if the wire with the ring terminal, is shifted to a proper ground connection.
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-04-2015, 10:53 AM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. Was away for a few days.

Yes, Lorenzo, I mean both front and rear when I am speaking of either side. And no, there is no noise from the relay when attempting to use the left signal.

I will try your suggestion when I get home this evening. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X