Bike starts when I ground the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike starts when I ground the battery

Having an issue with my 78 gs750. Got the bike as a project and had to put a new wiring harness on bc the old one was hacked up. Wired everything according to the diagram and harness is from same year. As soon as I ground the battery the starter engages, whether the key/kill switch is on or off. Bike will start and starter will continue to turn over. Any ideAs? It's getting so frustrating

Stuck starer selinoid is what I would look at first. Smack it a few times with a heavy wrench and see what happens. That or just swap it out. Inspect the starter button too for sticking or shorted wire up there.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Will check that out. Wierd thing is no matter what position the key is in it will turn over once I ground the battery.

Comment

If the solenoid isn't stuck as Chuck suggests, I bet you wired the solenoid and the starter wrong. When you rewired the bike, you got a wire in the wrong place. If there's a complete path from the battery to the starter the starter will be turning, the key switch doesn't enter into it. All the switch does is enable the trigger wire to work from the starter button.
        Show us a picture of the wires on the solenoid?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I believe problem is solved . I checked resistance between contacts on soleniod and it appears to be stuck closed . On another note.... The section in diagram which I circled, where the remote wire to the start button crosses over the battery supply to the rectifier, is there a connection there or just a cross over in the diagram??

Comment

Picture is not showing.

Originally posted by Artie View Post
            I checked resistance between contacts on soleniod and it appears to be stuck closed .
            Did you test this with everything disconnected?
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Yes checked while everything disconnected
              Attached Files

Comment

Take the selinod off and go to tractor supply, a small engine place, and some have even said Lowes and Home Depot ..but its like an 8 or 10 dollar off the shelf selinoid.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There is no connection there. points in the diagram where lines cross and are to be connected usually have a dot at the intersection
                  1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                  sigpic
                  My GS550 Build

Comment

No connection there. Y/G runs to the starter button and only receives power when button is pressed. If you did connect this to the R wire, the starter solenoid would always be on and the starter would run continuously as you described.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Sorry I said R wire but I meant the Y/G as shown in the diagram. I used a red wire for this part of the R/R positive to avoid confusion on my bike.

I should mention that the fuse should be the battery positive side not the R/R positive as shown in the factory setup.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Never thought that he may have wired it to a constant hot...good point.

Comment

Working...
                        X