Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total newbie. Need to replace plugs, wires, caps. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total newbie. Need to replace plugs, wires, caps. Help?

I'm continuing to work through issues on my first bike build and am now to the ignition. I'd like to replace all four plugs, plug wires, and caps. Can someone help me pinpoint exactly which parts I need? Should I just order the same plugs? I have a Martek 440 ignition that may or may not work. I am getting spark, however the wires are all very touchy. I';d rather just undo whatever the PO had and get new.

Here's what is there now:

Attached Files

NGK B8ES plugs. If you are getting sparks, the ignition works. Not sure about your wires, what does touchy mean? Look at the wires while the bike runs in the dark, do you see sparks leaking out of the wires? If you do replace the wires, if not snip off the ends and reseat them. Might need new spark plug caps.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Not sure about your wires, what does touchy mean? Look at the wires while the bike runs in the dark, do you see sparks leaking out of the wires?
      Unfortunately bike is not running. The plug wire ends just don't seem to seat very well on the plugs. The are VERY loose on the elbow ends.

Comment

From factory in the spark plug cap should be a resistor and and spring, but many people remove them.
        If missing the spring or resister the electric current will jump the gap and you will lose some fire at the plug. Weak spark.

Comment

Working...
        X