Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooking up multiple wires to a single point (not a common ground btw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooking up multiple wires to a single point (not a common ground btw)

Here's my dilemma: for the rear lighting of my bike, I plan on having more lights than what was originally equipped. Instead of a single 1157 bulb in the taillight and a couple turn signals, I'm going to have the following:

Two LED 1157 bulbs,
    Two LED "angel eyes" surrounding those,
    and either an illuminated license plate frame, or two lighted bolts
    And of course rear turn signals

Now I now I can share a common ground for all the above lights, but is there something I can use to attach multiple positive wires to a single point? I was thinking something like a fuse block near the rear lights.... but without additional fuses. Any ideas from the collective?

Thanks in advance folks.

I have two additional LED brake lights myself, but never saw the need for rear running lights. Are all lights off same circuit? Then just have a crimp connector for all positives, maybe inside taillight assembly.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You can attach them together, or, do it the proper way and use something like this http://images.jamestowndistributors..../blu-14126.jpg

called a hot bus bar
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

If you open up a gs harness they attach multiple wires to a single point using an double open ended crimp . If there was a lot of current flowing then a single point distribution would be nessesary but led lighting does not have much draw. Do the calculations for voltage drop and you will realize that you can daisy chain most of it after perhaps some primary splits for l , r ,brake and signal

Comment

Good info gents - thank you!

I should have mentioned: the led angel eyes are surrounding the 1157 bulbs, and only come on with the brake light. Same goes for the license plate frame - only on with the brake lights. What can I say, I like to be seen when I'm slowing down....

Fj, that hot bus bar is what I'm looking for. But I didn't know what it was called, so it makes it tough to search for. Thank you!

Posplayr, I normally would just daisy chain the wiring for the led lights... especially in this case where they share a similar function. But I've also had the problem where something becomes damaged and one light needs replaced. Trying to undo a single wire when they are daisy chained together isn't hard.... but not very fun.

Thanks again to everybody for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post

But I've also had the problem where something becomes damaged and one light needs replaced. Trying to undo a single wire when they are daisy chained together isn't hard.... but not very fun.

I have been finding that there are LED bulbs avaliable for all standards sockets. If you need connectors for an individual light then these are pretty good quality especially considering the price. Beyond being unnecessary, how are you going to insulate that big bar?

Comment

The big bar can be had in smaller sizes also. There is also a cover that goes over it.

I have used them in many different applications, not only boats but trucks also. Being built for the marine environment makes them ideal for motorcycles.

cheers
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
              X