gs1100/1150 starter/starter clutch info needed HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100/1150 starter/starter clutch info needed HELP

just learning about the 1100/1150s have a small tire turbo bike want to put electric start on it. here's what i "think" i know

crank is 83 1100 one year only 29mm end crank with 18mm wrist pins. this crank uses the same starter clutch as the 1150 however it looks like the starter and starter idler gear are different (ratios) between the 1100/1150. 1150 uses a 70/17 tooth idler that uses no thrust washers on the idler pin. 1100 uses a 55/18 idler that does have a thrust washer on either side of the gear. this would lead me to "think" the center to center of the starter pinion and idler pinion "might" be different between the 1100/1150 cases however they could also do it by different diameters on the idler gear and starter pinion.

i got the entire setup (including crank) off a guy but unfortunately the shipping gorillas chipped one tooth off the starter clutch gear so i need a new gear which looks to be part of the starter clutch assembly that is still available.

so i need to remove the charging rotor from the hub and get the starter clutch for a 1150. the guy did send some washers for the idler but they don't look to be correct and new ones are only a couple bucks.

i have a race coming up next week and want to get this sorted before then. can anyone confirm my info and/or correct it and any additional comments?

This is What I use.

mitsuba 229 starter motor - 9 teeth - can be modified for 24Volt - and brushes are easy to get.

18 - 55 Tooth count idler gear

big end taper sprag clutch gear (aka starter clutch gear). that has 73 teeth. inspect for cracks and the inner thrust surface has to be mirror smooth not ground up.

I use 2 thrust washers on the idler gear.

both my 1150 cases and 1100 cases accept this starter clutch / combination.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

James, call me at 714--356-784five. I can help you.
      Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X