Replaced stator, now bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced stator, now bike won't start

I have an 82 GS850GL. Bike wasn't charging so I went through the Stator Papers and replaced the R/R. Charged as expected for a year, then no more. Did the Stator test again and found the stator was bad. Bike still started and ran fine but wouldn't charge. Replaced the stator but now the bike won't start. Starter cranks, plugs spark, fuel in the float bowls but no ignition.

Anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

Thanks,

Mike

did you unplug the igniter? Blow the ignition fuse? Fire Air Fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      did you unplug the igniter? Blow the ignition fuse?
      Wouldn't either of these cause the plugs not to spark? All 4 pass the spark test.

Fire Air Fuel.
      Seems like all are there and I didn't mess with any of that prior to replacing the stator, bike started fine before then not after.

Comment

Originally posted by me850l View Post
        Wouldn't either of these cause the plugs not to spark? All 4 pass the spark test.

Seems like all are there and I didn't mess with any of that prior to replacing the stator, bike started fine before then not after.
        If you have spark and the bike cranks you probably wont have an electrical problem other than running the battery down. Did you put the petcock on prime from off?

Comment

If you have spark and the bike cranks you probably wont have an electrical problem other than running the battery down.
          Doesn't seem like there's an electrical problem. And yes, running the battery down has been an issue. Good thing I have a charger.

Did you put the petcock on prime from off?
          Petcock only has ON, PRI, and RES. Changing its position doesn't make a difference.

Comment

Check the plugs to see if they're wet or dry. Are you sure you didn't reverse the plug wires?
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Check the plugs to see if they're wet or dry.
              Wet and slight smell of fuel.

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Are you sure you didn't reverse the plug wires?
              If you mean the spark plug wires, then no, didn't even touch them other than for testing after the stator was replaced and they were only disconnected one at a time and plugged back in correctly.

If you mean the stator wires, I thought it didn't matter which wires on the R/R they went to.

Comment

If you're sure that the plug wires are on right, unplug the stator and r/r from the harness and see if that awakens it for some reason. Did you wire all 3 stator wires direct to r/r (to bypass headlight loop) ?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Amazing what revelations the light of a new day will bring. I got up this morning and over coffee got out the shop manual and started looking over the Electrical System section again. This perusal got me to thinking over all the steps I took in the stator replacement process. Eureka! I remembered a step I had totally forgotten - before working on the stator I checked the contact breakers. So I went back out to the bike, took the cover off, inspected everything and realized I hadn't properly seated the advance governor. I put it back together correctly and it started right up.!

Now I feel a little foolish but no worries, back on the road again.

Comment

Amazing what revelations the light of a new day will bring. I got up this morning and over coffee got out the shop manual and started looking over the Electrical System section again. This perusal got me to thinking over all the steps I took in the stator replacement process. Eureka! I remembered a step I had totally forgotten - before working on the stator I checked the contact breakers. So I went back out to the bike, took the cover off, inspected everything and realized I hadn't properly seated the advance governor. I put it back together correctly and it started right up.!

Now I feel a little foolish but no worries, back on the road again.
                    Exactly what did you do to the contact breakers when "checking the contacts" that allowed you to have spark but didn't allow the bike to start?

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The breakers were fine, but the somehow since the advance governor wasn't seated properly it wouldn't start. I guess I don't fully comprehend how all of this functions.

The outer section of part 4 in the pic below wasn't fully seated. I had to spread the two spring loaded arms apart, press it in all the way, then the nut (part 7) could fit in the tabs.

After doing that and putting it back together she fired right up. Went for a non-stop 50 mile test ride and checked the charging after and it's right where it should be.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

OK so, as I thought, you don't have contact breakers. That is the input to the signal generator for the igniter. Still odd that it wouldn't fire a all but maybe it was just timed too far out. Glad you have it up and running.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Now that I check my manual again I realize the mistake - it's for a 79 850 which probably does have contact breakers but my 82 does not. So opening that up was useless and caused me problems later as I didn't put it back together properly. At least I'm learning. Thanks for setting me straight.

Comment

Now that I check my manual again I realize the mistake - it's for a 79 850 which probably does have contact breakers but my 82 does not. So opening that up was useless and caused me problems later as I didn't put it back together properly. At least I'm learning. Thanks for setting me straight.
                            I have been reading this trying to figure out the "moral of the story". I think using the factory manual and reading it before jumping in to anything is wise. Over the years there are plenty of mods that have come about especially in the electrical charging, but it is still good to just get you head wrapped around what is in the FACTORY manual (specifically not the other help guides).

Comment

Agreed. I think the problem was reading the WRONG factory manual. Good thing I didn't do anything much more than look. If only I had just left it alone I'd have been fine.

The only mod I've done is relocate the R/R up front and run its ground directly to the battery

I'd say the moral is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X