No fire at all. 1981 GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fire at all. 1981 GS650

pulled the spark plugs and grounded the threads to the frame and no spark on turnover. electrically it has a used igniter, used RR, used coils, and a NEW wiring harness to counter the pinch of death. going to check the voltage to the coils later, but aside from that, what controls the spark on these bikes that i need to replace. it's not my daily so theres no emergency.

Signal generator under the right side engine cover can cause problems, but it sounds more like you're shotguning instead of troubleshooting. Have you acquired a wiring diagram for your bike? If not then go here to pick one up.

Then go here to get a whole lot more information.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

signal generator could cause no fire at all?

Comment

Originally posted by playboymma View Post
        signal generator could cause no fire at all?
        Sure can, but not the most likely culprit. You need to stop buying parts and begin tracing down the source of your no ignition problem. Here's another link to your factory service manual.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Why so many new-to- you ignition parts? Did you keep the old stuff? The bike might miss them.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Why so many new-to- you ignition parts? Did you keep the old stuff? The bike might miss them.
            because i pulled it out of a junkyard. every connector was rotten and everything that could be rusted was rusted. i know for a fact it's an electrical issue, because everything else is brand new.

Comment

OK, start with basics like here....

is this a ahaft or chain driven version? Did you get correct ignitor for the the signal generator coils? The ignitor receives a signal from the signal coils and interupts the current to the ignition coil producing a spark thru two plugs- same idea as a points/condenser setup.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

it's shaft driven, and i bought the ignitor based off the VIN

Comment

Working...
                X