Same charging systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same charging systems?

Does the 16 valve 83 1100 have the same basic charging system as used on my gs850g from 81, or are they two totally different animals?

You have to check the manual, but my 81 GS750 has a single channel SCR SHUNT regulators while the 83 1100E has all three channels.
    For most intents and purposes they are the same problem.

Comment

Different size rotor and stator, possibly a different R/R, as posplayr mentioned, but yeah, same basic setup. Same basic problems.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The only components in the charging system for both bikes are the rotor/stator and regulator/rectifier. So, very simple.

The stator has to match up to the rotor on your engine. I believe there are not that many different stators used among the GS line.

The regulator/rectifier (R/R) are interchangeable between all GSes (and most bikes of the same vintage). But if you need a new one (which you do, if you still have the stock unit), then search the forum for information on buying a new Polaris R/R and installing it.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
        X