1980 gs850glx 2 and 3 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850glx 2 and 3 no spark

ok guys somthing happened and would like some aid.
    lost spark in 2 and 3 . traced wires to the same coil.
    figured that was the issue, and purchased two other coils.
    installed one, and no spark.
    installed the other and no spark.
    question
    1. is the bike cdi or points?
    2. where is cdi or points?
    3. can i test cdi or points while installed on bike?
    4. how do i test cdi or points? (as in; general location of wires, color of wires, and volt.dc/volt.ac/ohm range)

ok guys i am compatent with engines and i know i should get a manual, but im lazy. i love the bike. had it for 6 years and rode the hell out of it, but i paid 300 for it and im lazy so i will fix it but i aint gonna get a manual and read for it, ill just buy another.
    BUT would like to keep this one, i do like it, so if there is some one out there that can tell me how to test i will.

Not CDI, not points either. It has a signal generator on the right end of the crankshaft which sometimes fails, and a thing called an ignitor, basically an amplifier that makes the signal big enough to operate the coil. Those fail too sometimes, but most likely it's something to do with wiring. You do have good voltage to the coil?

There is a free Suzuki Service Manual here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

where would this igniter be located at. and didnt check for volts into coil cuz didnt want to start bike without gas tank on, but oh well i will tomorrow. and thanks tk...

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Not CDI, not points either. It has a signal generator on the right end of the crankshaft which sometimes fails, and a thing called an ignitor, basically an amplifier that makes the signal big enough to operate the coil. Those fail too sometimes, but most likely it's something to do with wiring. You do have good voltage to the coil?

There is a free Suzuki Service Manual here:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

Originally posted by chasthanhburns View Post
        where would this igniter be located at. and didnt check for volts into coil cuz didnt want to start bike without gas tank on, but oh well i will tomorrow. and thanks tk...
        Checking the voltage at the coil supply plug would be the first thing I would check. You don't have to fire up the bike, just switch it on and make sure the kill switch is made. Even by looking into the plugs you get a fair idea if its badly discoloured. Check between the live pins ( same colour on both plugs) and ground. Ideally it should be no more than half a volt less than battery.
        Here is a wiring diagram.

I'm with tkent02. Most likely wiring either at the coil supply plug or at the other end at the ignitor plug which also gets dirty.

Follow the wire from the 'points' cover back and it will lead you to the ignitor. Generally it will be somewhere in the neighbourhood of the battery box. Some thing the size of a cigarette pack only flatter.
        Last edited by Brendan W; 07-28-2015, 05:09 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

ok im getting 9.4 volts from both of the o/w wires going to coil wiyth ignition on and kill swith on run. to me this would indicate id get spark out of coil. im gonna run it agian. any

Comment

You would with a points ignition. 4 or 5 Volts is plenty. Not with these. Needs almost 12 Volts to work. Clean all of the wiring connections. A little corrosion goes a long way towards screwing up the voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by chasthanhburns View Post
              ok im getting 9.4 volts from both of the o/w wires going to coil wiyth ignition on and kill swith on run. to me this would indicate id get spark out of coil. im gonna run it agian. any
              Not good. Working backwards from there clean the coil plugs, the kill switch, the fusebox and the ign switch. Check out the ignitor plugs as well. Both coils getting the same voltage and one not firing points to trouble on the downstream side.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

ok all coils were checked for spark from 1 and 4 wires to coil. coils are good.
                traced wires from inside case to ignitor and tested for ac volt .
                one wire provides 1.5 acvolt and the other provides .05 acvolt.
                im assuming the points or breaker inside case are bad.
                am i correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Not good. Working backwards from there clean the coil plugs, the kill switch, the fusebox and the ign switch. Check out the ignitor plugs as well. Both coils getting the same voltage and one not firing points to trouble on the downstream side.

ya that im getting volt on wires to coil but no spark is confusing me. definatly not the same as a cdi ignition.

Comment

Nope, and it's not points either. Read the book.

Comment

also if it aids in diagnoising. when i went to start bike before any of this was known i thought battery was bad and charged it. put it back in only to find the ignition fuse wasd blown. after it started wityh a new fuse is when i first had no spark.

Comment

i appreciate your aid but i am not gonna read the book. i am not trying to be rude to you but as i said i am asking for someone with knowledge on this bike with this issue. i do not intend to read the manual. first even without any aid or the manual i could figure it out but i have other things to do. so if you would like to explain the workings of this ignition system i will read it and thank you but telling me to read the book is telling me you dont want to or cant help. .. Instead how about just not saying anything.
                        Nope, and it's not points either. Read the book.

Comment

OK, have fun figuring it out. I can't be bothered to help those too lazy to help themselves.

Comment

look ass telling me to read a book isnt helping its telling me to figure it out myself. so as i said last post but not as politely aid or shut up.

OK, have fun figuring it out. I can't be bothered to help those too lazy to help themselves.

Comment

I aided. You ignored. We're done here. Save your insults for someone who gives a rat's ass what you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X