Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Speedometer Suggestions 81 gs850g

Hello All,

I am looking to swap out the OEM instrument cluster for a simple clean mechanical speedometer. Looking for suggestions and any information on the specification for the 1981 gs850g. I am having trouble getting the detail on the ratio and fitment for my project.

I would consider a digital solution if the install was reasonable simple.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

I saw one recently on a 1000L that came from Dime City Cycles. Not sure exactly which model it was, but it looked nice.

Was a bit smaller and had all the warning lights built-in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have seen guys use their smart phone as a speedometer. A GPS app can give you MPH or KPH in large digital digits and I'm sure there is something out there that can mimic an analog gauge. No cables or wires, all you need is something to hold it. Can't get any cleaner than that.
      Turn your phone into a Speedometer. A fully functional analog/digital speedometer app with a speed alarm that will save you from speed tickets and helps you drive safe under the speed limits by warning you with an audio alarm if you go beyond a set speed. Download Now on your iPhone and Android. Your Samsung Galaxy, iPhone, Google Pixel, OnePlus and all Android phones are compatible.
      Last edited by gsrick; 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        I have seen guys use their smart phone as a speedometer. A GPS app can give you MPH or KPH in large digital digits and I'm sure there is something out there that can mimic an analog gauge. No cables or wires, all you need is something to hold it. Can't get any cleaner than that
        I have yet to see a "clean" mount for a cell phone on a bike. Especially if your goal is to "clean up" the looks by removing gauges.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or you could just make a bracket that spans two handle bar mount bolts and use a belt clip.

Last edited by gsrick; 07-28-2015, 11:30 PM.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I bought one of these for by Bicycle to hold an IPhone 4. It does well but after a relatively short time the mount broke near when the ball extends to the carrier. Riding the bike the IPhone landed in some gravel and was really none the worse for the wear. I drilled out the mount and put in a stainless screw and it seems to be holding well. Plastic just doesn't have the same sheer stress as stainless.

If I had been on a motorcycle, the IPhone would have been gone.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a mount for my samsung S4 from http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ and will let you know what the quality is like. I really like the idea of the smart phone for the odometer and speedo. Next will be to cap off the mechanical speed line. Anyone know if I can remove the entire instument panel wiring harness without affecting the function of the electrical. Essentially looking to get rid of the all the warning lights etc.

Comment

One warning light I wouldn't do without is the oil pressure. Also, you might find your law requires you to have a main beam indicator lamp *unless you can see a tell-tale on top of the headlamp shell, as some ancient bikes had*.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X