Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do with the orange, orange/green wires on SH775 install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news, I slept on it, and checked it out this morning. Not sure if my multimeter is screwey or if I was mistaken last night, but this morning, everything is working and doing the proper voltages. Thanks again for the helpful advice. Now to get out the soldering iron and make these connections permanent.

FWIW, I was able to mount under the stock battery box in the stock location with some longer bolts to get the connector to clear the igniter and fusebox. I'll get a pic up later.

Comment

Originally posted by revilo View Post
      Good news, I slept on it, and checked it out this morning. Not sure if my multimeter is screwey or if I was mistaken last night, but this morning, everything is working and doing the proper voltages. Thanks again for the helpful advice. Now to get out the soldering iron and make these connections permanent.
      a quick test has wonderful healing effects for your GS.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        a quick test has wonderful healing effects for your GS.
        Hmmm,

I sense a little sarcasm in this statement.

Your multimeter may have been off, but if you were also blowing fuses, then something just isn't right. As Tom suggested, you might have a loose ground, or you could have a short on an exposed wire. Track it down before it comes back to bite you.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          Hmmm,

I sense a little sarcasm in this statement.

Perhaps, but nothing that is not true. The Quick Test is a sanity test. The first thing you have to be able to do is read a +12V battery's voltage and the OP has to overcome whatever hurdles he is having in doing that. Measuring 18V at idle is clearly wrong.

Originally posted by revilo View Post
          Ok, ive messed something up. New stator and rr are in, but the voltage at the battery is showing 18 to nearly 20v and idle and revving respectively. Not sire if my multimeter is pooched or if I need to have a look back through the stator papers.
          Last edited by posplayr; 07-31-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Perhaps, but nothing that is not true. The Quick Test is a sanity test. The first thing you have to be able to do is read a +12V battery's voltage and the OP has to overcome whatever hurdles he is having in doing that. Measuring 18V at idle is clearly wrong.
            To be honest, I misread your post...I thought you said "rest" not "t​est"
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

To be honest, I misread your post...I thought you said "rest" not "t​est"
              You probably did not mis read it. When I first posted the auto spell correct put in "rest", that I changed on an edit to "test"

Comment

Your multimeter may have been off, but if you were also blowing fuses, then something just isn't right. As Tom suggested, you might have a loose ground, or you could have a short on an exposed wire. Track it down before it comes back to bite you.
                You're right, I had neglected to tape back an unused power wire and it shorted. D'oh. I edited the post as soon as I noticed! However, my garbage harbour freight multimeter is garbage, and was reading wrong. When I tried today it was with a friend's meter today and everything checked out, so no worries, beef curries.

Comment

hey Revilo - sorry to revive an old thread but I am trying to find a home for my new SH775 on my 1980 GS450. Can you please share a picture of your mounting location? did you just put it under the side cover?

Comment

I put mine where the igniter was and I attached the igniter under the seat to the rear fender guard. I'm redoing some stuff now with pods and so on so it'll go in a tray under the seat where the battery box was. Don't have pictures now but I think I might somewhere I'll take a look.
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                    X