Another SH775 Install on GS450 but Poor Quick Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another SH775 Install on GS450 but Poor Quick Test

Just installed my SH775 and I have a couple of questions. I've looked at a lot of threads but haven't seen anything specific to the 450. There's 7 wires coming out of the Triumph connector I got - 3 that go to the stator, 2 positive leads and 2 negative leads. I connected the 3 stator wires to the stator (duh), and taped off the green and red pinstriped wires the stock R/R was hooked up to (headlight switch loop). I also taped off one of each of the extra positive and negative leads, hooked the positive back into the harness where the stock R/R connected and grounded the negative lead. I should say that I have a brand spanking new battery.
    Here's my quick test results:

1. Key Off: 12.72V
    2. Key On: 12.4
    3. Idle: 12.52
    4. 2500RPM: 12.6
    5. 5000RPM: 12.8
    6. Key Off: About the same. I think it was around 12.75 - so I'm charging but not very well.

I put a new stator in last year, although it could have been fried by the stock R/R before I got the new one. My questions are:
    1. Did I hook up the SH775 correctly? I know there are a few configurations, whats a better one?

2. How should I read into the quick test? I'll test across stator wires tomorrow to get more info.

3. I mounted the SH775 where the stock R/R was, but had to remove the igniter and put it under the seat. I don't need to ground the body of the igniter unit right? This is for my own sanity, since there's also a ground coming out of the igniter.

Thanks all!
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
    I also taped off one of each of the extra positive and negative leads, hooked the positive back into the harness where the stock R/R connected and grounded the negative lead. I should say that I have a brand spanking new battery.
    Here's my quick test results:

1. Key Off: 12.72V
    2. Key On: 12.4
    3. Idle: 12.52
    4. 2500RPM: 12.6
    5. 5000RPM: 12.8
    6. Key Off: About the same. I think it was around 12.75 - so I'm charging but not very well.

I put a new stator in last year, although it could have been fried by the stock R/R before I got the new one. My questions are:
    1. Did I hook up the SH775 correctly? I know there are a few configurations, whats a better one?

2. How should I read into the quick test? I'll test across stator wires tomorrow to get more info.

3. I mounted the SH775 where the stock R/R was, but had to remove the igniter and put it under the seat. I don't need to ground the body of the igniter unit right? This is for my own sanity, since there's also a ground coming out of the igniter.

Thanks all!
    I would say you are not charging at all. There is a slight voltage rise, but I would not read much into that.

It is likely that your stator is bad. I would proceed to the Phase B tests and make sure to test both leg to leg and leg to ground VAC at 5000 RPM.

You should follow these directions for connections. You could have doubled up the connections for Red and Black (assuming they are common with the other matching colors).
    Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

The ignitor needs to be grounded and the R/R should be grounded to a SPG.
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-02-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there a difference between "ground" and "SPG ground". Also "VAC".
      The negative R/R is grounded to the frame and the R/R positive goes into the positive lead in the harness going to my (fuse/battery positive)/ignition
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        Sorry for the stupid question, but is there a difference between "ground" and "SPG ground". Also "VAC".
        The negative R/R is grounded to the frame and the R/R positive goes into the positive lead in the harness going to my (fuse/battery positive)/ignition
        Yes they are different. see Power and grounding write ups

Of course if your stator is burned up you will never know the difference.

VAC - Volts Alternating Current

SPG - Single Point Ground

Comment

Working...
        X