no brake lights all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no brake lights all of a sudden?

never had this happen before. everything worked fine on my last ride. the rear brake light is on when the bike is running, but no bright brake light when squeezing the lever or pushing down the foot pedal. weird. where should i start? fuses?

The brake light bulb is double filament, running light and brake light. Check your bulb half of it is burned out.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

To check a fuse in the "quick and dirty" fashion, check the horn and turn signals, they are powered by the same fuse.

If the "brake light is on when the bike is running", you have other problems. As OldVet suggested, make sure it's the TAIL light that is on when the bike is running. There is a 3-pin connector just ahead of the tail light that might have some corroded pins, check it out. You might have to remove the tail piece to get to it.

Do you have a test light (or a meter)? This is one of those times where it would be the perfect tool. Remove the tail light lens, remove the bulb. Use the test light to verify power is coming to the socket.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Horn and turn signals are fine. Will check out the bulb and test the connections with a test light this evening.

Comment

Would be a good time to check what your charging voltage is topping out at as well. Popping bulbs can be an early sign of R/R failure.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

will do. i just looked at the charging system quick test and will post results.

Comment

Also, check your grounds (tail light housing)... Bad grounds can really mess with you. Good-luck
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The bottom bulb in the tail light housing was burnt out. Broken filament. It says Stanley 12v4cp on it. Is this something I can pick up at an auto parts place?

Comment

It's a standard auto bulb (twin filament stop/tail) in the bottom. The top one is a single filament 5,6, or 10W, depending on who last fitted it.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Check that you are not riding the edge of either brake switch. That filament gets a lot of use but no sense in making it worse.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                      The bottom bulb in the tail light housing was burnt out. Broken filament. It says Stanley 12v4cp on it. Is this something I can pick up at an auto parts place?
                      Replacement would be a #67 or #89.

It is just a single-filament bulb to illuminate the license plate.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks all. I'll get a replacement.

Next, charging system quick test. Hope I can get back early enough from plans today to check that out.

Comment

Ok, so I got a replacement bulb (a pack of two #89 from Advanced Auto). Put it in, turn the key and it lights up immediately. So now it seems as though instead of the bottom bulb not being on at all, now it doesn't turn off. Am I correct in thinking that the running light is the top bulb and when you hit the brakes the bottom bulb illuminates in addition to the tob bulb?

I took off the inner plastic part of the tail piece, and found the three pin/prong connector. On female side of the connector, my test light lit up on all three. On the male side of the connector, the middle prong did not light up on the test light. Should I check grounds next? Something is making it act as if I'm braking all the time.

As soon as I turn the key, both lights come on.

The middle prong of this connector did not light up my test light.

Comment

Crap. I forgot to check my fuses.

Ill check the rear brake switch too.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

On that three-pin connector, you will have a white wire, a brown wire and a black/white wire. The black/white wire is ground. You can verify it with your test light by clipping the 'ground' wire of your light to the positive side of the battery and touching the black/white wire with the probe. Move the clip to the negative side of the battery, touch the other two pins. With the key OFF, neither one should light. With the key ON, the brown one should light. The white one should light with the brake.

This is one of those times when a test light is so much quicker and easier than trying to read a meter.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X