No announcement yet.

no brake lights all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test light connected to (+) side of battery, then touched to black/white wire - Test light glows
    Key off. Moved test light clip to (-) side of battery, then touched white wire - nothing, brown wire nothing.
    Key on. With test clip still on (-) side of battery, touched white wire - test light glows, touched brown wire, test light glows.

Then I decided to test the rear brake switch. Using Steve's post, it didn't seem right that the white wire was working even though I wasn't using any brakes. So with the key off, I connected the test light to the (+) side of battery, then touching the soldered wires on top of the switch. Both of them made the test light glow. With the key still off I moved the test light clip to the (-) side of battery. Then neither wire made test light glow.

With the key on , and test clip connected to (+) side of battery, neither light up.
    With the key on, and test clip connected to (-) side of battery, both light up.

Do I have a bad switch?
    Could a bad spring be the culprit? Here is a short video of me actuating the rear brake lever.

This is where I was testing on the switch.

Comment

Check that the front switch is not stuck ON.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good call. I'll check on that tomorrow. Thanks, Steve.

Comment

So I unscrewed the front brake switch a turn or two, and slid it back and forth as I was squeezing and releasing the brake lever. No change in the rear lights, both we constantly on from the moment I turned the key on.

Took lever out to inspect, and here are a couple photos. This master cylinder needs a rebuild for sure. However, the brake switch slides easily back and forth, and has spring in it (returns quickly.) How else can I test it?

Oh by the way, the wet area is not brake fluid. I had shot a little Deoxit in there.

Comment

Check out this drawing to confirm the front switch is assembled ok
            image.jpg
            The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

Yes, it is.

Comment

Alrighty, so I took apart the switch to see what was going on, and I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be bent up.

I cleaned everything up, and reassembled, and now it's working. Going to see if I can just order this one part and get it fixed. I probably damaged it when (incorrectly) installing my new brake lever. Derp.

Comment

Is it item #8 on this parts diagram?

Shop online for OEM Right Handle Switch parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

Yes but getting number 7 should include all of that.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got a new contact for 4 bucks shipped. Fixed!

Comment

Working...
                      X