Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help installing an SH-775 on a stock '82 GS850G

Hey everyone,

I've got a fully stock GS850G with super low mileage that I'm rebuilding (see this thread for more:http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-tip-top-shape)

One order of business was to replace my R/R with a series type. Upon research on this forum I went with the SH-775, which just came in the mail today. I feel like I've maybe gotten in over my head.

I'm a bit baffled about how to wire this thing up, as it came with no connecters, and looks quite different than the stock R/R that came off. I've poked around a fair bit on the forum and found some stuff about having the stator connect directly to the R/R, but am unsure of how to make that happen.

Can anyone who has done this before break down the procedure for installing this thing?

Also, what connecters will I need to purchase to make this happen?

Thanks

Here's one thread you can use to help guide you through the connectors.

I can't find the one I did but I bought connectors from EasternBeaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html and wiring from a local electrical store. Through this method, I was able to run the cables as long as I needed.

Edited - here's at least the post from my rebuild thread showing it built and ready for install

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 08-08-2015, 08:05 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wiring is no problem. If you don't want to take up the extra room of the proper connector, just use female spades on all your wires.

The group of three connectors (gray connector) are the stator inputs. The group with only two connectors are the power outputs. The one closest to the stator wires is the positive, the one closer to the edge is the negative.

The easiest way to mount the R/R is to pull the battery box (after disconnecting the stock R/R wires) then swap regulators. You might have to tilt the new one with the connectors down a bit if you use the proper connectors, probably not if you just use spade connectors.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Triumph sells a connector for $10 which is much cheaper than that Eastern Beaver kit. You don't need all that extra EB kit junk anyway.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am purchasing the sh775, is there a part #. I can't find it on amazon. also i think my shunt burned up my stator, seeing 11 ac volts between the poles and about 16 ohms of resistance. i need a recommendation on that too, i am not buying another one or else i will be looking at sv650s or and S50!!! Not very happy right now

Comment

I am also looking for where to find them. i found a JSP that replaces the yamaha equivlant.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffgs View Post
              I am also looking for where to find them. i found a JSP that replaces the yamaha equivlant.
              The member here "STEVE" maintains a current price list with vendors for the SH-775.

Comment

A quick titles only search found many threads to include Steve's price list

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks, Cowboy.

That list was just updated a couple of weeks ago (July 25), so the prices should still be current.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Triumph sells a connector for $10 which is much cheaper than that Eastern Beaver kit. You don't need all that extra EB kit junk anyway.
                    By the way Ed, the only thing I bought from Eastern Beaver for that was the connectors and terminals for $18; all wiring was my own. I purchased them when I bought their fuse block which was a pretty good deal in my opinion.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      The member here "STEVE" maintains a current price list with vendors for the SH-775.
                      Got the list, thank you very much. S.I. Motorsports just sold one to me for $84.00!!!! So that is very competitive.

I did hard wire my stator to my R/R to eliminate resistance in the connectors. Now I say that because I tried to test A/C voltage from the stator but cannot tell if the R/R is having any bearing on the readings. They are low; about 11-12 A/C volts. At 800 rpm I am seeing D/C at 12:47 and at 4,000 13.02 and it drops as the bike gets warm. My hope is that the shunt R/R didn't burn up my stator too (mainly so Steve won't say I told you so). It was very odd I rode it the other night and the headlight low started to flicker and then just quit. Turned on the highs and it worked and I made it home. Now the low beam works. Tore bike down and there are no signs at all of short to ground. I was very careful with the wiring in the headlamp. Not sure if the third series just shorted out in the R/R????????? I also noted when taking an A/C reading from the stator anything past 4,000 and at times lower, my meter switches to mil volts until I allow the RPM to relax. Also link to frame ground I have resistance.

Thoughts?

Recommend a certain stator?

Comment

The ac voltage tests are with the r/r disconnected. Rerun the quick test for a diagnosis. Otherwise you have to disconnect the stator to do phase b tests.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 08-12-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X