New Coils and wires on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coils and wires on the way

New ACCEL 140403K Black Ignition Coil Kit on the way. Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should do? Or should I just be able to hook these up and roll? I am aware that I need to play with the mounting a bit...
    Last edited by Spyder; 08-10-2015, 03:49 PM.
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

I'd check the primary resistance of these accel coils and compare to the suzuki ones- the stock ignitor might have have a minimum ohm value, otherwise it will be working harder.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry, forgot I posted this, until the box came in the mail. They are "supposed to be the same core resistance as stock, 3.0 Ohms.

I will of course confirm that before installing. Hope they are ok, should make a world of difference...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

So what if I were to mount my coils under the seat???
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

Comment

Are they that difficult to install? A ignition relay mod is also recommended.

Comment

I have the coil relay already. And yes, I'm finding it difficult to get them where the stock coils are. Very little room to play with, and it will drive me insane knowing they are "hamburgered" in there. The thought came to me when I saw the 3ft wires that came with the kit...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              I have the coil relay already. And yes, I'm finding it difficult to get them where the stock coils are. Very little room to play with, and it will drive me insane knowing they are "hamburgered" in there. The thought came to me when I saw the 3ft wires that came with the kit...
              I have Accel coils in my GS1100ED. They are tight and a bit of a challenge but probably fit better than the Dyna Coils.

Comment

Yeah, I figured a decent temporary way to mount them. Will need to fab up some small brackets to get them mounted properly. One side mounted on the stock tab, and the othe side (ugh, hate to say it) hose clamped to the frame. It will be a little janky but tight... Now to tackle the wires. Kit came with 4, 3ft suppression wires. Will cutting them down to a sane size lower the resistance of these graphite core wires?
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

Comment

Did you get this kit mounted? I am interested in doing the same thing with my GS850. What were your results?

Comment

Working...
                  X