Looking for an 83 GS550L wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an 83 GS550L wiring diagram

Did a search and found other years, but these bikes do change...so I'm looking for a wiring diagram for an 83 GS550L. I got a fuse block and gauge pod assembly and I want to compare the wiring on those to my 80 GS850G.
    Thanks

Read The Fine Manual

you can find it on up in that there link.

Comment

The only big difference between the great '80 diagram on BassCliff's site and the '83 you are looking for is the addition of the side stand switch and light.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, there's "my" issue- maybe not anyone elses, but my viewing issue-
        1} "gs850glz wiring diagram and mods" http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...nd%20Mods.html .......http 404 not found
        2} "gs650e/g/l wiring diagrams" subpage 81650glx https://www.google.com/a/dslextreme....sive=true&ul=1 ...server error..same error for the 82 gs650glz on that page. "google app"?...I tried them all there- same error.

Any other way or place to look?

Comment

dload the fine manual its near the back in the L supplement part

Comment

In a nut shell, I got the L stuff for ease of replacement on my G model....when I got her the tach body was badly cracked, needle was from what looks like a later model and the outer gauge pod was cracked in nearly the same place as the tach. My gear number readout is missing the red number board- no big deal, but I'd like to have it look correct when lit, my turn signal self cancel system, if it ever was there, is gone...have the speedo wire leads to the back of the speedo case but no sensor inside of it - I'm thinking she was butchered up. Hey, I can thumb the switch to cancel it myself, but you can easily see the tach is cracked, or at least I can. I liked the looks of the 83 L pod, but now have to confirm that it won't read right per mph due to the 83 having a smaller front rim compared to my 80 G. The 83 L fuse box was a plus having regular blade fuses instead of the old barrel type....and my wiring is pretty hacked...no more than I expect for this or any same year vintage bike...but the thought of a rewire seemed like a good idea. My neighbor works sales for Molex and he said he could get me weatherproof connectors, no, probably not for free, but they do make a nice product.
            If the bike didn't run as good as it did I might have passed on the above stuff, but wiring is easy on a cycle, and a minor restomod seemed interesting...my ford buddy swears it currently painted in the same red fire as his dads friends mid 80s cobra....I'd redo that again but with factory looking pinstripping.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
              In a nut shell, I got the L stuff for ease of replacement on my G model....when I got her the tach body was badly cracked, needle was from what looks like a later model and the outer gauge pod was cracked in nearly the same place as the tach. My gear number readout is missing the red number board- no big deal, but I'd like to have it look correct when lit, my turn signal self cancel system, if it ever was there, is gone...have the speedo wire leads to the back of the speedo case but no sensor inside of it - I'm thinking she was butchered up. Hey, I can thumb the switch to cancel it myself, but you can easily see the tach is cracked, or at least I can. I liked the looks of the 83 L pod, but now have to confirm that it won't read right per mph due to the 83 having a smaller front rim compared to my 80 G. The 83 L fuse box was a plus having regular blade fuses instead of the old barrel type....and my wiring is pretty hacked...no more than I expect for this or any same year vintage bike...but the thought of a rewire seemed like a good idea. My neighbor works sales for Molex and he said he could get me weatherproof connectors, no, probably not for free, but they do make a nice product.
              If the bike didn't run as good as it did I might have passed on the above stuff, but wiring is easy on a cycle, and a minor restomod seemed interesting...my ford buddy swears it currently painted in the same red fire as his dads friends mid 80s cobra....I'd redo that again but with factory looking pinstripping.
              Did you find the schematics in the factory manual ? Did you find the manuals?

Comment

Im pretty sure the speedo would be the same across all models with only the gear on the wheel being different.
                A lot cheaper to do it that way I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-ES-L_1983.PDF

dload the fine manual its near the back in the L supplement part
                  Ooooh, got it......Thank you! I wasn't thinking full on manual, but it could come in handy for other things too...Thanks again!

Comment

I was looking for just the wiring schematic at 1st, but having the whole thing makes better sense in the long run....hind site, ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      Im pretty sure the speedo would be the same across all models with only the gear on the wheel being different.
                      A lot cheaper to do it that way I would think.
                      Now that's what I would assume too...why would Suzi make totally different speedos even after switching front rim sizes...if I can find out the speedo drive hub part numbers for my and the 83 L version, that still wouldn't tell me if the gearing is the same there or at the speedo itself. I have to figure they'd made the speedos the same drum drive ratio but different hub drives for the assortment of rim sizes they had.
                      My simple plan is to take my 1/2" drill at full speed{600 rpm} and use it on both speedos to see what they read...I have to grab a square drive insert and chuck the correct size into the drill...then try. Maybe 600 is too high...I honestly don't know what they turn, cable wise, to read out a certain mph.....she's setable speed though{thumb wheel}...I'll start out slow and go from there.
                      How else can folks swap from the oddball 85mph speedos to the 120-140 and no issue.

Comment

THey put larger wheels on later years I think an 18 instaed of 16
                        maybe check the numbers on an 86 model vs 83? not sure which yars had the bigger wheel or if the large and small were offered at the smae time.

Comment

Ok, after a little playing this morning this much is confirmed-
                          1- my oem '80 GS850G, 85mph speedo and '83 140mph GS550L speedo were lined up...I have another 140mph gauge cluster/pod inbound but it's snagged up delivery wise, so I'll play with what I have at the moment.
                          2- grabbed my 800rpm drill, chucked in a square drive that fit nicely where the oem cable would go and spun both the 85mph and 140mph "L" speedos up, counter clockwise, via the drill. This was at full speed to make sure they were supplied the same rotational input...any other variance would be due to the speedos.
                          3- They both read just under 20mph @ 800rpm input...oddly the "L" speedo spooled up alittle slower than the 85mph version - maybe due to the higher capabable readout or a need for a little lube.
                          4- So, they do match up, speed wise! - and that leads me to believe that any difference between year/rim size is dealt with at the drive hub gearing ratio with a common speedo gearing drive.

I will try out the other speedo when it arrives. Just thought some of you might want to know......

Comment

Working...
                          X