Need help: plug wire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help: plug wire question

So I have a 1979 GS 425. I have replaced the mufflers with Emgo shorties (with baffles), replaced the intake with Uni filters, and tuned it with 135 main jets. I noticed that the left side exhaust was popping a bit so I checked the plug wire. It's broken and I need to replace it. So my question is, can I replace just the plug wire on that side? Should I replace both? Should I get an entire ignition system upgrade? If so, what upgrades are out there and where can I get them? Any help/input is appreciated.
    Attached Files

One part of me says "if only one wire is bad, fix one wire", but the other side of me says "if one 36-year-old wire broke, the other one is probably not far behind".

You should know, though, that removing the wires from the coils is no picnic. They are epoxied into place, making them VERY difficult to remove, let alone gracefully. It is possible, but not easy. There is a threaded spike in the coil, onto which the wire is threaded, so dig carefully when you are trying to remove the wire.

New coils would also be an option, but they are not all that cheap.
    (The only thing that is "cheap" on a GS is the nut that holds the handlebars.)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you are going to upgrade coils, dyna coils are always a popular option. You will need the wire kit for the coils though

Comment

Thank you both for the advice. Anyone have a link to a replacement dyna system?

Comment

since your ignition system is operational, i'd just do the dyna coils. I don't know the ohm spec on a 425, but if it's like most, dyna 3.0 ohm coils and their wire kit will suffice

Comment

If you have points, go with a 4 or 5 ohm coil, if you have electronic ignition, go with the 3 ohm coil suggested.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X