Old age and bike craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old age and bike craft

I am 68 years old and have owned a good few bikes like a BSA 250 C12,a Honda CB77 sport, three Meridian Triumph Bonnevilles and more recently a Yamaha Fazer 600 ending with a Yamaha r1.
    On retiring my good wife suggested I need a hobby so along came a 1981 Suzuki GSX750e non runner.I cleaned it up polished it and got it going with the help of Dyna-s ignition system. It then would run but only just,that's when I found GS Resources,the answer to my dreams, not quite. I've gleaned knowledge from a few members and have bit the bullet and fitted new air box boots but know I'm deep into electrical mods and that's where the trouble begins. I fitted the coil mod and used the redundant orange/white from the igniter,everything was perfect(over 12v at coils)until I read Posplayr's ideas on the Stator papers
    I'm lost totally lost,how much can a 68yr old take. Was I just lucky or is there still room for improvement
    Please let me know in old codger terms any further improvements I can make to MY coil mod.
    So far I have used 3 gallons of fuel and have just ridden 3 miles.
    Thanks to anyone who has helped me in the past and a special thanks to Grouse and Johnny Walker who have helped me, without your help none of my cock ups would have been possible.
    Ps, I wanted to post icons but I don't know how.

Tomahawk.
    Go for a ride.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are a lot of improvements you can make. Stop pulling the old fart routine, I'll be 68 in November and the bike keeps me sharp and arthritis in the hands at bay. I was forced to reinvent myself several years ago when my wife came down with Pick's disease and the bike plays a large part in my life for stress relief and just plain fun.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Don't get overwhelmed with all the technical stuff- take it in bits. Charging issues can be fixed simply, even if you don't understand exactly why. Get out and ride and you'll get inspired.I was absent from bikes for 30 years- getting reacquainted definitely improves my 66 year old body parts.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Glad to hear from you oldvet66. I forgot you guys over the pond don't understand British humor.I was only having an alcohol induced laugh at myself. I rode my R1 up till April 2010 and not in any pedestrian way and only sold it to help a daughter out financially. This bike and anything bikes in general also help me as I've suffered stress problems for 50yrs and I full well know that as soon as I sling my leg over a bike and ride all stress disappears.(I'll be called a moaning bastard next if I don't watch). I'm sorry to hear abut your wife and I wish you the best for the future.
          I still don't know if I've done right regards the kill switch wire.

Comment

Thanks for that tom203, I've been in and out of bikes since the age of nine when my dad had a Triumph Thunderbird. I came back into riding in the early 90s with a Kawasaki GPZ750 which slung me off at 100mph (uncontrollable tank slapper) That's when I found out that you don't bounce as well when you get older.( should I be writing this elsewhere ? ) Anyway I will take your advice and thanks again.

Comment

The kill switch wire no matter if it has a voltage drop enables the relay solenoid to close ( the other side of that circuit is the relay ground) feeding direct battery power to the coils through the contacts that energize when the switch is on . You may be feeding the Dyna-s off the same circuit so the kill switch would kill power to coils and ignition.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X