Headlight switch doesn't want to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight switch doesn't want to work?

Hey there, trying to troubleshoot why my headlight switch doesn't want to turn on. Its a 1979 gs750. I've taken the switch apart and cleaned the contacts so far. I'm slightly confused on reading the wiring diagram however. Either way, i have power to the switch, and when i jump the red/white wire to the yellow/white wire i can get the headlight to work. I figured someone here might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what i need to be doing. Thanks!

I think your diagnosis is correct. If you have power to the switch and jumping it makes the headlight come on, the problem is likely in the switch.

I can't see the diagram clearly enough on my phone to make sure your looking at the right wires. But if it lights they must be right. You could have a problem in the dimmer switch, but then jumping the headlight switch wouldn't work.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Is my only option a new switch? Or is there a way to fix the copper parts?

Comment

You could just wire it so the lights are always on with the ignition switch.

When you jump the 2 wires, does both high and low beam work?
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I believe they do. And how would I go about hard wiring it? Just cut and solder the wires before they go into the switch?

Comment

Working...
          X