Timing mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing mark

I am finishing up a rebuild on my 82 1100gl and am a bit confused. I am trying to locate the timing mark that is referenced in the service manual just before installing the camshafts.

It seems that the timing mark is directly to the rear of the engine, however, this bike had an electronic ignition but is now using a dyna s system with a mechanical advance. Looking at manuals for bikes with a mechanical ignitions indicates that there is a separate plate that shows the timing mark located at the top of the signal generator. Where is the timing mark exactly in this scenario? This is what I see:

Thank you in -advance.
    TH

Just bring #1 cylinder to TDC. You are also missing the timing plate http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemp...ontact-breaker like item 12 here.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

You'll need the plate or use a degree wheel and make your own TDC.
      I'd get a plate and make sure both sides of the Dyna lights up on F.
      I may have one but not sure.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
        X