No Start, No lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start, No lights

i picked this bike up cheap, 1982 gs450l, and it ran. ive pulled the carbs and cleaned them, replaced dodgy ignition coils with 2009 gs500 coils, and it ran! then all of a sudden, no guage lights, tail, turn or headlight. starter turns when the solenoid is jumped but i have no spark. what the hell? is there a fuse on this bike? its got some sketchy wiring work done to it. ive never done a bike before, ive been an auto/diesel mechanic for 11 years and this thing has got me stumped! any help would be appreciated

Your gs500 coils might have caused indigestion. Here's a wiring disgram

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Your gs500 coils might have caused indigestion. Here's a wiring disgram

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=2370B6...211030&o=OneUp
      ive got the diagram already, but thank you for providing it. the gs500 coils have the + - backwards from the gs450. could this have damaged something? i do know that the bike had charging issues before the coils were changed, im wondering if my r/r is bad. i believe a bad r/r would cause the starter relay,lights,and ignition to all go out. but im not sure yet

Comment

Compare the primary ohm resistance of the old and new coils- if the gs500 coils have less ohms, they could draw more current than the ignitor likes. Check the 15 amp fuse- follow the power from battery positive thru fuse and onward into ignition key switch, etc.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

got it all working again, i had a ground hanging by a thread so i just rewired the whole bike! starts up great now, but has no mufflers or air box so im onto jeting and filters and mufflers

Comment

Working...
          X