Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay

The wire connected to side of starter solenoid with small screw is this a ground wire and if so do I ground it off frame or battery.
    1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

If it's a black and white wire with a ring terminal and the wiring is stock it is most likely the earth for the starter solenoid coil and originally would go back into the harness above the airbox and eventually find earth at the airbox mounting screw with another black and white wire,
    I suggest you go to Posplayr's sig and read up on single point grounding.
    Advising a particular route for one wire in isolation from the whole picture is not helpful.
    The basic idea is to collect the ground wires from the harness, battery box and the r/r together in one place and inject the positive supply from the r/r into the harness so that the r/r is driving the bike and the battery is off to the side getting topped up.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yes it`s the black/white wire connected to the bolt that holds solenoid to fuse box and battery box.It was wired straight to battery and so was b/w wire from loom at air box.Think I`ll just connect it from loom to solenoid and disgard other wire.
      Last edited by angus; 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM.
      1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

Comment

If I'm reading you right I wouldn't change what you have just yet. If both b/w wires were connected straight to battery you are bypassing the frame which is no bad thing but at the expense of a Christmas tree at the battery.
        Ideally the return currents should be going to the r/r as directly as possible. Going to the battery is a detour as they will have to get back to the r/r somehow.
        Your r/r as presently wired may be using the frame as a return path. Posplayr's stuff explains it a lot better and it worth studying it and then seeing exactly what state yours is in. It may not, in fact it's likely that it isn't in the original configuration.
        Have a look as post #7 in this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-the-other-day

I'm still learning and probably know just enough to be dangerous. Jim generally shows up if I'm going too far out of line
        Last edited by Brendan W; 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
        X