Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had spark, then it vanished. A little insight please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had spark, then it vanished. A little insight please?

The short version....... '81 650g given to me. Kinda hodge podged back together so I'm sorting it out. Initially had spark, firing order was wrong tho. Fixed that! Cleaned up the rats nest of wiring behind the airbox and have everything where is should be. Now, I have no spark! All wires "look" good and I have 12v at both posts on the coils, just no out put. I'm very new to cycle mechanics so where would one suggest I start? Greatly appreciate the help.
    Jeremy

manual should be on here somewhere. Did you have spark after you fixed the firing order? Did you lose it after the wire cleanup?
    Did you have spark at all caps when you had spark?

Comment

"....have everything where is should be. "

Apparently not! OK, so you got 12 volt positive on the orang/white wire at both coils- you also need this same power carried on to ignitor. There is a 4 way plug under seat feeding ignitor and the ignition coils, so check and clean. There is a 2 way plug connector plug just above battery with a blue and green wires in it. This connects signal coils to ignitor to trigger spark. Unfortunately the 650 wiring diagram is lost in the ether, but the 1980 gs850 is close enough to follow

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, when firing order was wrong and the wires were spaghetti, I had spark. The wiring connection tions were right, the PO didn't have an air box in it so things like the CDI and all were mounted wherever. Once I got that all proper,and firing order right, no spark.

Comment

Something is not connected right. A wire may have come unplugged as you repositioned stuff or may have broken inside of the insulation ( These are always fun to find ). Time to pull out the multi meter and do some checks. What type of fuses do you have??? Did you blow one??? Is the kill switch in the on position???
          1981 GS 1000GLX.
          1981 GS 1000G.
          1981 GS 650GLX.
          1975 TS 185.
          1972 100. Kawasaki.
          1968 100. Suzuki.
          1970 Z 50. Honda.
          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Thanks for all the input so far. Yea it looks like I'll be tracing wires and doing continuity checks. Fun fun! I'll post back with results, might not be for a couple days. Gotta get the Halloween decorations up then it's off to Disney for our family vacation!

Comment

Working...
            X