Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Stator produce 80V AC even if is core grouded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Stator produce 80V AC even if is core grouded?

Hi. I measure same resistance between lead wires and wires --->chassi (1 ohm). But stator is still producing 80V AC at 5000RPM. Of course is not charging so what I assume is not any current flowing. at 3000rpm it was still on 12.4 V which was battery.

Resistance checks will only show the most obvious flaws. If you are getting 80 volts from all three pairs of wires, your stator is likely good.

Please also check the voltage from each wire to chassis ground at 5000 RPM. It should be a VERY low number, hopefully ZERO.

If you do not have charging with those good numbers, check (and double-check) the wiring on your R/R.

If that checks out OK, you will have to replace your R/R.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have attempted to formalize the issue of stator testing into the following "laws" for laymen.

Comment

I just come from garage. Result are as I predicted bad . voltage between lead wire and ground at 4000 rpm is about 60V AC . It's pretty logic if there is continuity wire ----> chassi. Stator CORE have to be insulated. Thank you for all answers. It helps me when I am really confused.

Capture2.jpg
        Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Low resistance between each leg to chassis is a clear failure. No ambiguity there. Now the source of the low resistance may still be in question. I could be a breakdown of the insulation between the windings or it may be the result of a pinched or abraded wire in the harness. Remove the stator and inspect it closely. Might be an easy fix.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by sihi View Post
            I just come from garage. Result are as I predicted bad . voltage between lead wire and ground at 4000 rpm is about 60V AC . It's pretty logic if there is continuity wire ----> chassi. Stator CORE have to be insulated. Thank you for all answers. It helps me when I am really confused.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42444[/ATTACH]
            Leg to ground tests at full 5000 RPM have proved a very reliable indicator of insulation break down. This tests in not in the manual and is probably one of the bet examples of a shortcoming in the original manuals on electrical tests.

Comment

Working...
            X