82 GS650L Lost power while riding and now has no electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650L Lost power while riding and now has no electrical

I was just riding my 82 GS650L to work and out of nowhere the bike lost power, kinda like it was low on gas. I down shifted and that got some power back so that I could turn off the road, but the engine was sputtering. As I turned and let off the gas the engine stalled out. When I parked and tried to start it again nothing happened. It doesn't even have turn signals or brake lights. I've had the bike for a year and it's already had a few electrical issues. Any ideas about what this might be? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2015, 03:46 PM.

Sounds like another electrical issue! Maybe dirty/broken fuse, connections. When this thing was running for you, did you at least do the basic Quick test to confirm that it was charging OK? If system voltage falls to about 11 volts, the ignitor will be unhappy. Try jumping it with NON running car to see if it powers up and cranks .
    What maintenance have you done? Best to address them if you'd like a reliable and safe ride.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oh it's definitely an electrical issue. Or multiple electrical issues. It cut out on me due to a blown main fuse. The headlight fuse also blew out so I'm guessing there's a short somewhere. And the short seems to be draining the battery as well. I think the issues are all connected to some bad wiring that was done by the previous owner for aftermarket gauges they put on. All they did was snip wires and use electrical tape to secure the connections.

I did have a problem with the charging system earlier this year and tracked that down to a bad ground. I haven't checked it recently nor have I done any maintenance to the electrical system. I have done two oil changes, final drive fluid change, Brakes, lights, Air fliter, and some other maintenance since I had charging problem.

I put new fuses in and it will start now but it won't stay running without keeping the throttle about a 1/4 open with the choke at full. Otherwise when you start it there are a few flubbs and she stalls out. Weak spark from a weak battery I think. The electrical system is my least knowledgeable area so any bits of wisdom are appreciated.

Comment

Charge up your battery somehow and do this quick test report all 6 results if possible cuz they are clues!

Remember headlight fuse is 10 amp for good reason, so avoid temptation. Best to fix problem
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X