Hook up stator to RR No spark on 2 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hook up stator to RR No spark on 2 and 4

1981 GS650gl still has stock RR should I still route all three phases of stator ouput directly to the RR?

Is it as simply as hunting down the one making a loop to the front and moving directly to the RR instead?

Where do I start with checking no fire on 2 and 4? I already cleaned up the connections under the seat. Fixed a few dirty ones, and a couple of bad wires. The spark plug boots where all bad, assuming they are suppose to be 5k resistors in them. Number 1 had no guts in it and the rest of them are all closer to 10k. Without the caps on the end of the wires I can jump about a 1/4 in gap between the plug and the wire. Does that sound about right? Just on 1 and 3 of course.

Coil relay mod the same for 650 as any other? Aren't you actually powering up the ignitor and coils with this mod?

Chris

Yes.

Yes.

Check your spark plug wires.

Yes. Yes.

OK, some details.
    Yes, route all three wires direct.

Yes, it's as simple as finding the white/red and white green wires, disconnect the part that disappears into the main harness and reconect stator directly to R/R.

It is not common to lose one plug on each coil, it is more likely that both leads (or the coil) have failed and the wires are on the wrong plugs. In stock configuration, the left coil will be connected to plugs 1 and 4, the right coil will be connected to 2 and 3. Verify that before we try anything else.

Yes, depending on where you cut your wire for the coil relay mod, you will likely re-route power to the entire ignition system.

Before you bother with that relay mod, make sure all your connections in the fuse panel are CLEAN and tight. Use your voltmeter to verify that the voltage on the IGNITION fuse is real close to battery voltage (MAIN fuse) and that it agrees with the voltage at the coils (orange/white wire). If you see minimal voltage drop, the relay mod won't help much. For all the effort involved in doing that mod, you might be better served by finding a new R/R (the Polaris one is the current favorite, pardon the pun ) and making sure you have FULL voltage while saving your stator.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright will check plug wire routing. It could be me just seeing it wrong. I get about 1 full volt of drop at the coils. I cleaned connectors and the kill switch and ignition switch contacts already.

I started to pull the air box so I could get at the RR and wiring behind battery more easily. Think I will just go ahead and get a new RR and do it while I am sorting out electrical. Hate to half to go back in when I should be done. By the way, the start button works just fine. Pull the clutch in. Having a starter is new to me.

Can't seem to access any of the links from Bikecliffs site. Keep getting the 404 message. Just wanted to get a wiring schematic.

Thanks Chris

Comment

Originally posted by wishy View Post
        Can't seem to access any of the links from Bikecliffs site. Keep getting the 404 message. Just wanted to get a wiring schematic.
        Gonna have to send a message to Cliff about that, but in the meantime, send me an e-mail (click on my name for info), I can send you a copy of your wiring diagram.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

No need to pull air filter box to get at r/r and ignitor plate. Remove battery and you'll see two hex headed bolts that hold the plate to airbox/frame- remove them and you can swing r/r and ignitor plate up so you can remove these items.

Basscliff's site has "misplaced" the 650 wiring diagrams a few months ago. The 1980 gs850 diagram is real similar on most of the vitals

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Upon further review..... I pulled the plug wires up and laid them on the same sides as their respective coils. Left coil is working. Nice white/blue spark jumps across at least a 1/4 inch gap. Right side coil is not firing at all. Both coils measure exactly the same for resistance through the windings. I have continuity through the harness from the coil to the plug going to the ignitor on the exciter wire(black/yellow). I have to pull the battery and get at the wiring behind it to the IG/RR. Any suggestions after I check for bad wires/connections on what to look at? Trigger looks fine don't see anything really to go bad there. I don't think I have ever found a trigger bad on any of the bikes I have looked at. Hoping for bad wire/connection somewhere.

It looks like for the stator wire redirect I need to pull the white/green from going into the harness. Connect it to the white/red coming out of the harness into the plug leading to the RR. Correct? I see Steve already covered this above. I need to focus on one thing at a time i guess.

As far a voltage drop I have full battery power on the supply side of fuse block. I have almost exactly 1 volt of drop on the switched side of the fuse block. Is this considered normal or ok? I get pretty much the same reading at the coils if I remember right. I think the weak spark problem I was told about must be a combo of RS coil not firing and all the plug caps being way to high on the resistance through them.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Wiring is not my favorite thing its nice to have an experienced person to sound things off of.

Chris

Comment

I am thinking the ignitor is bad. Test light just sort of flutters when on the trigger wire. When I put it on the left coil it flashes. I also noticed that the voltage at the O/W wire fluctuates depending on crank position. That normal? Or is that a sign of bad ignitor also.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Gonna have to send a message to Cliff about that, ...
                Got a reply from Cliff this morning, he will be looking into those broken links.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep, based on your findings (different results from one side to the other), I would concur with the 'bad ignitor' diagnosis.

When you go shopping for an ignitor, watch that you don't get one from late '82 or '83, as they have the ignition advance built in. Yours still has a mechanical advance mechanism on the crank.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Well unless I find one cheap enough I will just get a Dyna system for it. It's a winter project so no hurry. Gonna have to find fuel tank as well. That or try and make the old one work. Plenty of polish and clean to do also.

Chris

Comment

Someone needs to tell the eBay sellers how much a dyna s costs. I get to looking once in awhile for a ignitor and they always want some outrageous price. Must be basing it off of new from Suzuki cost.

I did the stator rewire today. Got the headlight working. Just for fun I hooked the not firing RS coil to the LS trigger and it worked great. Looks like I will just get a Dyna since used ignitors are gold plated. ��

Comment

Just did a cross-reference search, seems that all the 650s from '81 through '83 use the same ignitor.

Here ya go, not too expensive:

Comment

Guess who got a Dyna for Christmas! �� Maybe I will have this thing going for summer. Any suggestions for shocks that don't cost a fortune?

Comment

Dyna is installed. Wire it up tomorrow morning. Get that all back together and timed, then I can get after the carbs. I have them separated just need to get a fresh can of dip.

Still not sure what to do about a fuel tank. Need to better determine how bad mine is.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by wishy View Post
                              Any suggestions for shocks that don't cost a fortune?
                              Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles.

Of course, that depends on your definition of "fortune", but a pair will set you back about $215, plus shipping.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X