No announcement yet.

Converting blinkers to be running lights also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The state rules that I have looked into are pretty lax compared to the federal new-vehicle regs. But some state require that you meet the federal regs.

If you need to, or want to, meet the federal rules, K&S has some nice LED turn signals that are DOT & E-marked.
    Available in chrome or black. Available in 2-wire or 3-wire (for turn & running lights).

Another option is the Blinker Genie from CustomLED.
    It works with existing 2-wire turn signals & turns them into the equivalent of 3-wire turn signal/running lights.
    The Blinker Genie allows for Run and Turn operation of single-intensity lamps on Motorcycles. Works with LED or Incandescent lamps! Intelligently controls the lamps for running light and turn signal. Made in the USA by Custom LED.

Both of these solutions don’t have the big current draw that would be a problem for a lot of our bikes.
    They also address the federal reg on light intensity (brake light & turn signals are to be brighter than marker lights).

I would be concerned about running bright marker lights in the rear for a different reason. I suspect that it would make it less noticeable that you’ve got the brakes on & might increase the odds of you getting rear ended.

Comment

Myself, there's been a lot of times while driving the car, that I gain on something that has one tail light..."is that a car with a tail light out or a cycle?"...getting a car length away on some of the unlit roads reveals either one...that's why I'd like to let them know it's a cycle well in advance. Out in the sticks, it's the lil old ladys driving mach 3 that can barely see over the wheel - I want them to see it's a cycle well in advance.

Concerning brightness, the running lights should always be on the dimmer/lower side of a dual filament bulb...I doubt it would over power the brake lights large filament in proper configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        Concerning brightness, the running lights should always be on the dimmer/lower side of a dual filament bulb...I doubt it would over power the brake lights large filament in proper configuration.
        1157 style LED's don't have difference between High and Low. Also here is a comparison of various LED's to an incandescent. If you are running LED's I would run them on HI only if ON.

Comment

I bought some aftermarket factory look alike front turn signal/running lights for my 750. Bolt on and plug in is all I had to do. The running light wiring was already included in the harness.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I wasn’t aware of videos comparing the stock turn signals to those same turn signals with various LED bulbs.

I have the K&S LED turn signals that I mentioned. They are for a GT550 cafe project and have not yet been installed.
            Just did a quick comparison of it to a spare BikeMaster replacement turn signal for a Honda CB650, and the LED turn signal was brighter.
            When I have some time & the weather is cooperating, I’ll compare the K&S turn signal to a stock one on one of my bikes.

I mentioned the use of bright marker lights in the context of the original post.
            If you use rear turn signals as marker lights, then:
            1) the red tail light is dimmer then your turn-signal marker lights
            2) the red stop light is close to the intensity of your turn-signal marker lights
            If a driver doesn’t notice you apply the brakes, then all he sees is a bunch of similarly bright lights & he may briefly think you don’t have the brakes on.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              1157 style LED's don't have difference between High and Low. Also here is a comparison of various LED's to an incandescent. If you are running LED's I would run them on HI only if ON.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=LED+roundup
              I was actually speaking of incandescent usage, and not LEDs/SMDs. I liked your vid...Thanks...but what you didn't say, or I missed it, was what the color was for those units....warm white...cool white?
              Two things I'd toss at you next time your experimenting- maybe an added diffuser would aid in spreading the light out inside the signal housing...and set those up spread apart more {like a foot or more} and aim them down the street - take a walk and see how far you'd get for decent visibility, just for laughs.

Comment

I was advised to use amber colored LEDs when using an amber colored lens as it would be brighter than using a white LED (even though the white ones put out (a lot) more lumens). They seem pretty bright. But I hear you guys about drivers being able to differentiate between the tail light and the blinkers and when braking and not. I'll look at this more closely. Thanks for all your comments!

Comment

Originally posted by mnferwerda View Post
                  I was advised to use amber colored LEDs when using an amber colored lens as it would be brighter than using a white LED (even though the white ones put out (a lot) more lumens). They seem pretty bright. But I hear you guys about drivers being able to differentiate between the tail light and the blinkers and when braking and not. I'll look at this more closely. Thanks for all your comments!

I bought a bunch of amazon/ebay amber LED's as well based on teh same recommendation however as a general rule the white LED are much brighter(through the amber lenses). I have a whole bunch of amber LED to show for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X