Heated clothing on 81- 850g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heated clothing on 81- 850g?

I have cold hands unless the temp is like 80 degrees. And that is most if the time in Canada!!!
    I'm wondering if the 850's charging system can handle the added work of heated grips and or gloves.
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I did go back several pages here with no results.
    Fred

Have you been a good boy and checked out your charging system and cleaned up the electrical harness? If all is well, you got about 80 watts of spare capacity running above 2500 rpms or so. Hopefully, you've stumbled across the series vs. shunt r/r stuff - won't give you more power, but does a better job at controling it.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Have you been a good boy and checked out your charging system and cleaned up the electrical harness? If all is well, you got about 80 watts of spare capacity running above 2500 rpms or so. Hopefully, you've stumbled across the series vs. shunt r/r stuff - won't give you more power, but does a better job at controling it.
      I think the Compufire will give a little more power out than the SH-775 just due to the difference in internal voltage drops between SCR and MOSFETS. To a first approximation I would Figure about .5V at 20amps==>10 watts when fully loaded.

Comment

I ran grips and a Vest on my 750 with an electrex stator fitted.

I ran my Vest only on a GS1000 and GS1000G. Vest is approx the same wattage as grips. Turn them off when at idle or going slow through town for any length of time.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The wattage it takes to run heated grips or electric gloves is less than the wattage it takes to run your high beams instead of your low beams. Your bike can support running a higher wattage headlight without a problem. As long as your charging system and battery are in good working condition and you're not running a higher wattage headlight you should have no problems running both heated grips and electric gloves. The only thing I would avoid is running your high beams, grips and gloves at the same time while riding around town.

Comment

I would not be riding these chilly morning without my heated vest.My 85 750EF handles it just fine,can't see a problem doing it with your 850.

Comment

Yep Fred, I use my heated vest on all three of my GS's
              No signature :(

Comment

Do you guys monitor your voltage with the accessories on? I suspect at a low enough RPM you will notice the voltage drops some when you switch the heater on. The question is how much load and how high of an RPM before the voltage starts to drop (appreciably).

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Do you guys monitor your voltage with the accessories on? I suspect at a low enough RPM you will notice the voltage drops some when you switch the heater on. The question is how much load and how high of an RPM before the voltage starts to drop (appreciably).
                  I can honestly say the thought of "monitoring my voltage with the accessories on" has never even come close to being on my mind. Lol...I just wanna keep warm.
                  No signature :(

Comment

Thank you much for the input guys!
                    I've never had an issue running the highbeam, though I don't think I have used it for extended periods. Don't ride much at nite, deer are attracted to me, especially when I'm moving,,,
                    I will go through the harness checking connections etc and buy some warmers!!
                    Fred

Comment

Come on Fred, I don't know what you're complaining about.........how cold can it be there anyways???? just get some "hippo hands" and be done with it...

Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

My 82' 850 has ran heated grips, heated coat liner and heated chaps without any issues. I drive 45 mins one way to work and work 3rds so the heated gear is very nice. I have completely rewired it using new connectors and staying about the same gauge wire and I have upgraded to the sh-775 regulator. I do try to turn the heat down when in city traffic for two reasons... the first is the load. The second is at lower speeds you dont need as much heat. As other have said as long as you've kept up on maintenance you should be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I do,at idle it might be down a bit at anything above it's barely any different.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            Come on Fred, I don't know what you're complaining about.........how cold can it be there anyways???? just get some "hippo hands" and be done with it...

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/mot...Main-page.html
                            Yes I have looked at the hippo hands from vetter, even if I didn't use them they would help complete my Vetter covered 850. Maybe I'll install a volt meter just so I can keep an eye on it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Btw for anybody that cares , from my measurements with a typical H-4 bulb there is little difference between current draw in high and low. Both are at 5 amps anghough they spoke to about 9 amps while the filament is warming up.

Comment

Working...
                              X