Rough run at anything other than idle and premature battery discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough run at anything other than idle and premature battery discharge

So I love my GS (and previous 5 bikes) but I've never been good with actually doing work on it. I've decided that if I could work on helicopters back in the Army I can fix a damn motorcycle so I'm trying my hand at making some needed repairs. Most important repair is that its no longer running.

Backstory: early spring I noticed a slow death of the 3yr old battery. Began the season with strong crank, within the month of May could not turn it over (thank god for kick-starters). Got a new battery and all was well for 2-weeks. Did a 1hr ride and stopped for breakfast. Came out, bike starter perfectly but ran rough. Jerky, no power, would seem like it would "catch" and then fall right off, spitting out of my lovely Vance Hines. But all four cylinders firing. Limped it home and gave it a go the next day, same issue. Starts and idles just fine, sputters and spits when you turn the throttle. I didn't have time to tinker so I let it sit for 2 weeks. Turned over but noticed battery was already cranking weak. 2-more weeks would not crank. 2 more weeks wouldn't even turn on the lights. Stone dead.

Bike will run with jumpers and idle just fine to this day (3 months it's been sitting). Sputters and spits when you turn the throttle though and dies immediately when jumper cable removed. I'm thinking bad alternator and have new batter on the way. Any thoughts?

Put a pic of her in just because I think she's so damn sexy.
    Attached Files

"....Put a pic of her in just because I think she's so damn sexy."

well then it's time to pay her some attention, i.e. Maintenance. Your charging system is likely dead- throwing new batteries at it has run its course. Once you get it sorta running, do this Quick test to pinpoint problem.

Looks like this critter has points ignition setup, does it?? Suspect tired points or bad condensers coupled with weak battery voltage. Make sure your advance mechanism ain't froze up- it's behind the points plate
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Conducted tests, R/R good, stator bad. 2 of 3 poles shot. Killed the battery in the process. Note to self: a bad stator will kill a battery. Not just drain it, permanently damage it. Now on to sourcing a new stator. I find wild swings in stator options. Everything from No Name brand cheap-o units on Ebay for $60, to mid-priced Electrosport unit for $120 to OEM from PartsZilla for $220.

I'm questioning the Electrosport unit. I see completely mixed reviews ranging from excellent to horror. I'm not a wealthy man so $220 hurts, but I also don't want to purchase yet another battery. Again, bike is 78 GS750EC. Looking for Stator recommendation. Ok to use Electrosport or bite the bullet and go OEM?

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

Electrosport stators have always been good but their R/R's are crap. In fact all Shunt R/R's are pretty much crap because of the way they work. You would be doing yourself a favor by switching over to a Series R/R that pretty much eliminates burnt stators because of the way they work (switching on and off at need, not load dependent instead of shunting through the stator when not charging operating 24/7 and can be fooled into overcharging if your headlight burns out or there are high contact resistances in the electric harness, switches, etc.) Series R/R's also allow the use of LED lights (lower load) without overcharging.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Be careful looking for stators. You have a 12-pole stator, many of the aftermarket places only sell the newer 18-pole stators. They are NOT interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
            Be careful looking for stators. You have a 12-pole stator, many of the aftermarket places only sell the newer 18-pole stators. They are NOT interchangeable.
            Yes indeed, be careful! Look at the pic of this ebay item- note the twelve poles, later models switched to 18 poles.
            I've bought 3 used stators with success, but I'm a lucky guy! $40 shipped is a good gamble for a good looking stator. Look at others to see those that are clearly BBQ'ed

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

oh wow...I don't know how I missed that used OEM stator. While I was aware of the '78GS EC requirement for a 12-pole stator, I don't have an knowledge if one pulled from a '79 GSL would be a fit. Anyone?

Comment

They share the same part number, so they are the same.
                Whatever you do, get a series r/r- it reduces the torture on the stator. I've run a SH-775 on a used stator for three seasons (12000 miles+) with happy motoring.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X