bike wont charge...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike wont charge...again

Three batteries, two stators, one new rr and still the same. I'll check out the self help.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

are you burning stators?

Comment

I dont know enough to know what i dont know. I need to do your tests. I suspect the problem is is the wiring somewhere. I do have one more stock stator if needed. I used a ricks last time.
      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

I have a smaller than stock battery to fit the monoshock. I can go bigger if needed. I figured if it cranked over and did so without struggle it would at least stau charged once i was cruising.

Comment

If you want some help, do the Quick test (see my signature) and report all numbers back here.

Comment

Will do. I only have a tester that reads 10 or 50 volts. I didnt notice untill i got it home. Its worthless.
            Last edited by turbojonn; 11-22-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
              Will do. I only have a tester that reads 10 or 50 volts. I didnt notice untill i got it home. Its worthless.
              Surely that is the calibration scale? IE: set it to 10 to read up to 10 volts.....set it to 50 to read up to 50 volts?
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

It is, but its pretty much impossible to even tell where 12v is on the 50 scale. Ill just pick up a good digital meter tomorrow. Im so glad this site it here. Otherwise, I'd be spending a small fortune at the dealership.
                Last edited by turbojonn; 11-23-2015, 12:28 AM.

Comment

On second thoughts that is a bit of an odd scale - most multimeters work on a 20v DC scale then 200 or so after that. And 200v and 500v for AC.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

OK, I got a good tester. I couldn't make noise in the garage tonight so all I could do is the "key on" test. It dropped .8 volts. Not a good start. The battery is not a stock battery. I believe it is spec'd for a 400cc bike. Still, I'd think it would charge once the bike was running, as opposed to going dead WHILE riding.
                    Last edited by turbojonn; 11-25-2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

You need to do all the running tests before you can draw any conclusions.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

-12.4 resting. Fuse blow above that when charging
                        -11.7 after key is on for 10 seconds with fuel pump and headlight on
                        -12.3 at 2500
                        -12.0 at idle
                        -12.4 at 5000
                        12.37 after shut off

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                          -12.4 resting. Fuse blow above that when charging
                          -11.7 after key is on for 10 seconds with fuel pump and headlight on
                          -12.3 at 2500
                          -12.0 at idle
                          -12.4 at 5000
                          12.37 after shut off
                          Your numbers are out of order, are they correct?

You are charging very little but some; certainly not enough to keep the battery alive. The Key on voltage of 11.7V is a little low but if you are running a fuel pump that is to be expected.

When did this thing ever charge?
                          Did you follow the wiring recommendations in GS Charging Health?
                          Did you change the stator? Stator is probably bad.
                          Do the Phase B test for the stator make sure to do both teh leg to leg tsts (should see 80VAC)and the leg to ground tests (should see 0 VAC).

Comment

I charged it with a 1.5amp charger. I'll check the legs next. Its a replacement reg rectifier. Pretty sure it was a Ricks. Stator wasreplaced too. I have another stock unit i can try out.

Comment

I measured the voltage at the battery terminals.

Comment

Working...
                              X