No announcement yet.

bike wont charge...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imeasured the legs by setting the volt meter to 20v dc and putting the positive lead onthe leg and the black lead to battery ground.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

You are measuring Alternating Current (AC) which will be labeled AC on your meter or with a wavy line. Set it to the 200 VAC setting and re do the tests.

VDC stands for Voltage Direct Current. (VDC) - Use this to measure the battery or anything being driven by the battery.
      VAC stands for Voltage Alternating Current. (VAC) - Use this for stator testing when it says VAC.

You can tests the VAC setting of the meter by putting the probes in to opposite sides of the electrical outlet. You should read about 120VAC.

Only touch the plastic part of the probe. Is this a $3 HF meter??? Maybe better to spend $500 at your mechanic.

Comment

Tester read 110 in the outlet. 16v in 2 of the legs and 22 in the third. Each one of the 3 stators I installed today net almost zero increase in charging as rpm increased.
        Theres a green wire with a yellow stripe that i found. Its switched and not hooke to anything?
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Tester read 110 in the outlet. 16v in 2 of the legs and 22 in the third. Each one of the 3 stators I installed today net almost zero increase in charging as rpm increased.
          Theres a green wire with a yellow stripe that i found. Its switched and not hooke to anything?

Comment

Maybe i need a new r/r? Probably cheaper to take it to the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
              The results suggest bad stator, but 3 bad stators???? Are you shorting out each stator by pinching wires? Do they look burned?

A new R/R is not going to change these results.

The green with yellow stip is part of the headlamp loop that you removed from the stator leg circuits. It does nothing now.

You are basically at teh point oif trying to get a positive result from the stator testsing at least. Getting bad results is not good and a new R/R or any other wireing changes will affetc this.

You are disconnecting the stator from the R/R to do the tests correct??? If not you wont get very good results.
              Last edited by posplayr; 11-28-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I was thinking maybe something got pinched or shorted untill I put in the third stator. Its truly perplexing. Maybe I'm just taking the readings incorrectly. Still, I can watch the meter barely budge when I rev it so maybe the rr is keeping it from raising voltage? Tomorrow I'll try to figure out if I have the rr hooked up correctly.

Comment

I was thinking maybe something got pinched or shorted untill I put in the third stator. Its truly perplexing. Maybe I'm just taking the readings incorrectly. Still, I can watch the meter barely budge when I rev it so maybe the rr is keeping it from raising voltage? Tomorrow I'll try to figure out if I have the rr hooked up correctly.
                  Simple Question; How did you do the stator tests?

If you are doing leg to leg tests the R/R must be disconnected. You will never get to 80 VAC with the R/R connected. With the R/R connected you will get not much more than an AC reading comparable to the DC battery voltage.

Comment

Here's the pic.
                    On the surface this doe not look too bad, but it is probably oxidied in a measurable way. It needs to be cleaned and treated.

That big fat Red wire from teh battery also looks like it has been getting a little hot. That will not help one bit.

Comment

I cut the 3 stator wires and put the red lead on the stator leg and the black lead to the battery ground.

Comment

Imeasured the legs by setting the volt meter to 20v dc and putting the positive lead onthe leg and the black lead to battery ground.
                        Shouldn't the meter be set to AC and each meter lead on a leg?
                        As in leg#1 & leg#2,
                        then leg#2 & leg#3,
                        then leg#3 & leg #1?
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

I cut the 3 stator wires and put the red lead on the stator leg and the black lead to the battery ground.

So these are leg to ground tests results? If so you have yet another shorted stator. Should be 0 VAC

16v in 2 of the legs and 22 in the third.

Comment

I was testing wrong. I found a youtube vid that uses this sites charging test. I cant go wrong now.

Comment

Take an asprin and call us in the morning.

Comment

If I were a surgeon all my patients would be dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X