No announcement yet.

bike wont charge...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator is good. Helps if I read the directions. I was measuring wrong. The legs all produce up to 80 when revved.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

there are more directions

Comment

The discolored positive lead to the panel is just grime. I sanded every contact and put electrcal grease on them.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

OK , 80 volts leg to leg, now check leg to ground- you want none.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you have 80+ volts AC at each stator leg then your stator is probably not the source of your charging problem. You can do a quick double check and check the DC resistance between each of the stator legs and ground. If you read an open circuit then you're good. Start looking at the R/R or wiring as being the problem area.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Best to do leg to ground test while doing the running AC test- the alternating high voltage tortures the windings more than the low voltage of a multimeter's ohm test. My last failed stator passed the ohm test, but failed the leg to ground AC . It was BBQ'ed upon inspection.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                The discolored positive lead to the panel is just grime. I sanded every contact and put electrcal grease on them.
                I guess there is always time to redo that, how does sanding contacts get inside of crimps? Answer it does not.
                Last edited by posplayr; 11-29-2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Best to do leg to ground test while doing the running AC test- the alternating high voltage tortures the windings more than the low voltage of a multimeter's ohm test. My last failed stator passed the ohm test, but failed the leg to ground AC . It was BBQ'ed upon inspection.
                  saved me from having to type that

Comment

If you do pass the leg to ground @5k rpm tests then redo the quick test to see if your numbers improve any with the clean up done.
                    if it improved the run the phase A tests where you measure voltage drops. It is possible you just have very high resistance preventing the battery from charging.

Comment

Found the problem. Two rubber sealed spade connectors were were side by side and had worn through the insulation. It was inside the harness inside a rubber boot inside a taped connection bundle. Life is good once more. Thanks for all the help and patience. Alot of other stuff is cleaned up now as a result, especially the fuse holders.

Comment

You are not done till you redo the Quick test and post the results

Comment

It's hard wired in with almost no slack left. It showed 13.7 charging. Maybe next weekend. Im revaling in the moment for now. I'll post a pic of the offending pair of connectors tonight. Sneaky liitle issue.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                            It's hard wired in with almost no slack left. It showed 13.7 charging. Maybe next weekend. Im revaling in the moment for now. I'll post a pic of the offending pair of connectors tonight. Sneaky liitle issue.
                            The sneaky issue showed up on the leg to ground but not the leg to leg test right?

Textbook case of 1st Law of Stator testing

13.7V means you have dirty connections between battery and R/R and the fusebox is the first place to start and don't get out the sandpaper .
                            Last edited by posplayr; 11-29-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Here's the pic
                              1448851528196.jpg

I think I'll clip out the connectors and hard wire these two pieces.
                              Last edited by turbojonn; 11-29-2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Here's the pic
                                1448851528196.jpg

Dont know what the wires go to, but they were sucking about 2 volts 2volts via the short.

Comment

Working...
                                X